Enhancement Request: Can we make .msg/attachments searchable?

Art at BU

I am writing to request consideration of an enhancement to Hornbill so that it could index and search the content of .msg and image files. Could Hornbill have functionality to automatically process and integrate the content of these files into the ITSM system itself? This would ideally include stripping repeated disclaimers and making the content more easily accessible and searchable. 

Attaching .msg files (i.e. email files from Outlook) to Service Requests or Incidents requires additional steps to detach and access the content. This is the standard procedure but this process disrupts the workflow within the ITSM and is particularly a challenge for our non-Microsoft users. In a way the information attached is somewhat hidden, even though it can be presumed to be relevant if it has been attached.  

If this functionality was available this would improve searchability, reduce 'Information Loss' for non-text based information and probably benefit the escalation of issues where important information / error codes etc has been captured on an image or in an email.

Regards,

Art

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone on the HB developer side give a view on this suggested enhancement? I see also this other thread below which seems related and is being considered(?) however the ability to search attachment content as well as view it would be very useful so it'd be good to know if here is any possibility of such an enhancement moving forward?

Thanks,

Art

32 minutes ago, Art at BU said:

I see also this other thread below which seems related and is being considered

This is already in the product.

It's not clear what you're asking above - how would you envisage an image be indexed and searched, for example?

An msg file is a Microsoft format specific to Outlook, designed to be saved from and opened in Outlook, with embedded and attached images encoded in the file, and even the text is not simply a line of characters. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, as that's not my area, but in the simple 2-line email I looked at, the text part of the .msg was split into 10 lines, and the entire file was 184 lines - most of which was similar to

cG9ydCB0ZWFtIG9uIDIwMjQtMDItMjcgMTI6MTc6MjRaPC9zcGFuPjwvc3Bhbj48L3A+DQoNCjxw
PjxzcGFuIHN0eWxlPSJmb250LXNpemU6MTFwdDsiPjxzcGFuIHN0eWxlPSJmb250LWZhbWlseTpj
YWxpYnJpLHZlcmRhbmEsZ2VuZXZhLHNhbnMtc2VyaWY7Ij5SYWlzZWQgYnkgQm9iIEJsYWNrbWVy