Removing special characters from Fields

Llyr

Hi @Llyr

Thanks for your post.  In some places, validation can be added to control what is initially entered into a field.  There are also some string utilities that can be used in a workflow that could be used.  However, I probably need a bit more information about the scenario that you are looking at.  Is there a particular field that you are looking at and how is this field currently being populated?

Thanks for coming back to me James.

The field i have in question is a surname for any new starters to our organisation. 

We are now using ITOM to create our new starter in Active Directory. We have been getting error recently when a surname include special Characters, we use the information to creating the email address.

I didn't really want to use validation when names are entered in the ICF as the same field is used to create the display name and there is no issues with Special characters there.

So my idea was to do a check on the Surname for special characters and remove it before getting to our ITOM stage.

Hi @Llyr

In the BPM there are some string utilities. There isn't a single one that on its own would go and strip out all special characters.  However, there may be a combination of these that may be able to do some of this.

image.png

I've done a test using the Replace Task with the settings below which successfully removed an apostrophe from the middle of a string.  This is limited to only being able to test for one character at a time, but if you know which character is causing the most issues, this should help.

image.png

1. Use a Get Information automation to read in the surname from where you have it stored.
  2. Use the variable that holds the surname and add it to the Input Text.
  3. Add the character that you want to remove in the Search String field
  4. Set the Replace With to Manual and don't add any value to the field
  5. Have another Hornbill Automation that takes the result of the Replace automation and update the request with the new value.

Let me know if that helps or if you need more information to set this up.

• 3 months later...