Add CC'd customers as connections when logging via email rules

Hi all, we have autoresponder set up to automatically log emails received as Service Requests. It works great when matching the email sender as a valid customer.

It's quite common for a customer to CC a colleague or their line manager when raising their request via email so that person also receives progress updates.

We originally went live with sending emails from the Business Process to the customer and also CC'd in anyone that was copied into the original email.

This worked great 99% of the time until we received a spam email that had hundreds of victims around the world in the CC field. Our Business Process then sent everyone a confirmation email using our 'request logged' email template, so we promptly removed that from the process!

The question:

I'm revisiting this requirement at the moment. I'm thinking I could take the CC'd addresses from the original email and match them with customers in the Business Process, then add each one as 'interested' Connections using the 'Add Connections' task. Then we could happily use the 'Email Connections' task knowing that the emails would then only go to valid customers.

It looks like the 'Add Connections' task expects the user ID, not the email address? Is there a way to take the CC'd email address from the original email, match them with a customer and then add each customer as an 'interested' connection? There could be one or multiple people in the original email CC field and some address will match customers and some won't.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The list of cc addresses would require significant manipulation, and while this may not be impossible, it would be at best prone to errors.

Even if you could isolate each address the Get Customer Details node does not take email as a parameter, so I can't see a practical way of obtaining the User Id to use in the Add Connection node.

There is the option to add Connections in the Capture, however this would not work for Auto Responder.

Allowing Customers to add Connections has been requested however I'm not aware of any development on this at present - you may wish to add your interest to this thread

• Like 1