Service Catalog Item not present in Progressive Capture

I am attempting to branch in the progressive capture based on the service and catalog item selected earlier in the progressive capture process, but the service details node only exposes the service name and id to the custom expression and not the catalog item. I suspect this was not updated when the Service Catalog Items changes where made.

Can I request that the Service Details node is updated to expose the catalog ID and catalog name as well.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Can I ask the reason you would like to branch on a Catalog Item? The reason being, when you create each Catalog Item and configure them, you are required to enter a Progressive Capture that is activated on selection of this item. Therefore, instead of branching, you could a unique Progressive Capture for every catalog item. 

One of the main benefits of the Service Catalog is this ability to present unique progressive captures per item. Prior to this functionality, we were finding that customers would have unmanageable "New Incident" or "New Self Service" Progressive Captures and having to accommodate every single eventuality which would make them extremely large and difficult to view and maintain. By splitting these out per Catalog Item (if differing questions need to be asked) it allows additions and changes to this configuration to be a lot clearer and easy to manage. 

You may have already seen the wiki page, but further information can be found here: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Request_Catalog

Or if you have a particular scenario, please let us know, perhaps with some screenshots and we will see if we can assist?

Have a great weekend

Bob

Bob

As we have a significant number of services, so we use a generic progressive capture so that it is easier to maintain the common elements. At the moment it is not possible to link progressive captures together to maintain common elements and avoid duplication.

We are using simple lists to provide a version drop down to the service/catalog item selected, so hence want to display a service/catalog item specific version information.

Cheers

Martyn

Good Morning Martyn,

Thanks for the explanation there. I will certainly ask the question internally to see if there are any plans to implement this for your scenario. 

Though if I have understood correctly, your requirement could still be achieved with the current set up - if you have 3 catalog items for example, the common elements could be recorded in the first Progressive Capture ("new Incident"), it reaches the "Service" selection form, and based on the catalog item selected opens one of 3 Catalog Item specific Progressive Captures - and its within these that contain the unique questioning (i.e. your version info). 

This isn't duplication as such as you are creating a number of Progressive Captures that are specific to the catalog item. But is this a case of having the preference to using one single, large Progressive Capture with many decision nodes as opposed to multiple catalog specific Progressive Captures?

Kind Regards

Bob

Bob

The reason for using a common one with branching based on catalog item, is that then we want to make a change to the common questions in the progressive capture, we would have to make it too all of the catalog specific instances of the progressive capture, not a single one, hence the duplication of effort/changes. 

We have in excess of 200 services, so wishing to make a common changes to them is no small effort. 

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I see the issue here. I've discussed this internally and we are having further meetings this week regarding the Service Catalog so I will certainly bring this up as a potential requirement and also look to gather the current recommended approach to this. 

Kind Regards

Bob