Parent Team Deletion - Recommendations?

Hello

I have received a request to remove a team from our instance and ordinarily this would be a straightforward matter however this team happens to be at the top of a hierarchy of teams.

If I were to proceed I presume I would need to recreate the teams outside of that hierarchy with the same name and members.

With that in mind I have a few questions: 

1. Would the new teams need to be created before the old ones are removed so that all assigned work can be reassigned to the new team?

2. Would all the workflows that point to any of the teams in this hierarchy have to be updated or would the name be sufficient?

I have thought about the consequences: new teams would need to be re-applied as supporting teams for each of the services, any reports that use the Team ID would have to be corrected and custom buttons visible to any of these teams would need to be amended but is there anything else I have not considered here?

It may be that I can remove team membership and remove the team as a supporting team of all services so that it becomes invisible as a workaround but if the deletion is still necessary I thought I'd reach out before any action is taken.

Many thanks in advance.

@AlexOnTheHill

Changing the team structure is easy, but the hard part is all the other parts of the system and applications that reference those teams.  For example (and this is just one of many), when you set up a workflow assignment node to assign to a team, if you delete that team, your workflow will still reference that team, and, in that case things will break.  Now scale that up to the numbers of workflows and historic data records and you will start to get a sense of the scale of the problem.  The general advice would be - don't delete teams... unless you really understand the consequences. 

Some useful documents that may help: -

https://docs.hornbill.com/esp-fundamentals/core-capabilities/organization-and-teams
https://docs.hornbill.com/esp-fundamentals/best-practice/org-structure

Gerry

• Like 1