Copy Request and Custom Fields

CraigP

Is there a way to avoid copying across the custom fields when using the Copy Request functionality?

Ideally any custom fields mapped by the Capture Form should still be reset to those values on the new request, but any other fields (set by BPM or manually) should not copy across.

Alternatively, if this is not possible, have there been any updates to allow nullifying or emptying custom fields within the BPM? I looked into this a long time ago but strangely there seemed to be no BPM functionality to do so at the time. One would expect if you set a field to manual and leave the value blank, then it should at least put an empty value in that field.

@CraigP what is copied across when using the Copy Request option in a request view, is controlled by the following Global settings in Service Manager

image.png

So you can control if custom fields are copied across, but be aware this is a global setting so will apply to all users who use this option.

• Like 1

@CraigP Yes, as these settings only relate to the Copy request button on the request form.

Just to clarify:

If you mean in your intelligent capture form, you have mapped custom field questions, on a custom form to fields on the original request i.e to the summary or description field using the field id's with names like h_summary, then these will be mapped to those fields on the original request. 

When you use the Copy button on that request to raise a new request,  then as long as you have left the relevant copy settings on, such as copy summary and description, then it will copy across the values from those fields on the original request to the newly created copied request.  

image.png

image.png

Thank you for highlighting the separate settings for Summary and Description, but I am referring to the custom fields (e.g. custom_e) mapped with the capture form.

Essentially I'm looking for the copied request to have the same custom field values as the original request when it was first created (i.e. custom fields that were mapped by the capture form remain, but any field values that got set/amended as the request progressed will not be copied).

So my understanding then is no, custom fields mapped by the original Capture Form will not be mapped to the new request if I turn the app.request.copy.customfields setting off.

In which case I'd like to be able to clear custom fields in BPM. I have looked into this before but I was left under the impression it wasn't possible? Is there any way to do this that I might have missed? I see this was recently raised again for custom Date Fields, but no response at time of writing.