Changing user from basic to full

JJack

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on the best way of changing someone from a basic to a full user, or vice versa, and changing the roles they have.
I see ways of doing this manually or via an import and account updates but wanted something more automated available directly through service manager. For example, change user type, remove current roles, assign a new set of roles. It seems user templates can only be used when creating new accounts.
The only way I can think of doing this seems tedious, and I thought it might be a common and simple requirement so hope I'm missing something obvious :- )

I've seen an old post from @AndyHill but not sure what approach he was using and think I might be wanting to change more things.

Hi,

Thanks @Berto2002, I had missed these two posts in system admin and enhancements.

For us too we are notified of an individual who needs to become a full user after their account has been created by an import; we cannot easily identify them at the time, as there is no definite area or other value that means they need such a role.
I'll look into whether we could use a new data import configuration as @James Ainsworth suggests but limiting to an individual. This would at least bring it into service manager rather than handling as a scripted import.
I'm not sure I see how I could get a process with Update User Account/Remove Role from User/Add Role to User to work, removing whatever current roles they had first, although I do quite like this idea as it potentially allows for more flexibility.

7 hours ago, JJack said:

For us too we are notified of an individual who needs to become a full user

Hi @JJack

If you are being notified about an individual that needs changing, could you incorporate this into a process?  You could create a request catalog entry that drives a capture and workflow for processing these.  Below is a screenshot of an automation that changes a user from basic to full.

image.png

There are also options for adding and removing roles.

image.png

Let us know if these help.

• Thanks 1

Hi @James Ainsworth
Yes, we could do that, but I thought a bit tedious! I'd have to see if the process could find out what roles they already have, and if it mattered if I tried to remove ones they didn't have. Can't even tell if multiple roles can be specified against the 'Role' option.
I'll have to experiment, or I might try your suggestion of an import configuration first 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Could anyone direct me to an appropriate place to find out about working with strings within a service manager workflow or automated task?

• Role [string] MANDATORY : The role to add to the user

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for suggestions, I decided to bite the bullet and created a capture and workflow with numerous separate nodes adding our various 'user' roles one at a time (and an autotask, for good measure when it is more convenient).