Unable to access Hornbill on AVD machines

Adith

Hi Team,

Our users who uses Azure Virtual Desktops reported that Hornbill is not loading up for them in AVD. This is happening only in AVD machines, they can access Hornbill from their local machines. 

There has been no changes made to restrict Hornbill from AVD. Have anyone come across a similar scenario, is there anything to be checked either from Hornbill or from Azure ?
Any help on this :)

Regards

Adith

Hi Adith,

Thanks for your post.  I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge of how Azure Virtual Desktop works when it comes to network communications.  Our ability to help with this might be limited as our expertise is with Hornbill and not Microsoft products.

There has been some discussion that this might be tied into if the AVDs that are using IPv6 only.  Having read a few articles, there do seem to be some limitations when only using IPv6 without IPv4, such as the Azure Firewall doesn't support IPv6.  

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/ip-services/ipv6-overview

While using a AVD you could start by doing some ping tests of the IP addresses listed on https://docs.hornbill.com/hornbill-cloud/firewall-ips-ports to see if they are able to reach the Hornbill servers.

• Like 1

Hi @Adith

I think you may find that it is more about IPv6 than the firewall.  While IPv6 on a AVD may work well within a private network, you will need IPv4 set up in order to access many external resources, such as Hornbill.  AVD does not use IPv4 by default.  I believe that it is something that you actually have to purchase from Microsoft.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @James Ainsworth

We had a check on the IPV6 and IPV4 configurations, it looks like our AVD's are in IPV4. Also found something strange today, the homepage is the only thing that doesn't loads up. I mean, as an Admin I can get into Configurations (Personal Settings, Platform Configurations, Service Manager..) everything loads. Even we can open up the Request Lists page and all. Just the homepage refuses to load completely. This is a concern for our end users who would be raising tickets from the home page.

Do you have any advise on this ? Any homepage/employee portal related settings to be checked or reviewed ?

Appreciate your help on this case.

Regards

Adith

Hello @James Ainsworth,

Yes, that's correct. We can see part of home page (header and footer, logo etc.) No widgets are shown, neither the options for raising a request or any of the services which should be visible in the home page. No particular error messages are shown in the page.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @James Ainsworth

Further update on this case. We were informed by our team that only couple of users are affected by this issue. I have verified their profile in Hornbill and both are provided with the required roles/permissions and are active. The page loads up for them but as I have mentioned above it is without any icons or menu items just our header banner and footer.

Is there anything that you suggest we check further on this scenario. 

Regards

Adith

This is a long shot - I'm no expert at all, but I generally find this a reliable way to see what issues could be lurking about on web apps, such as Hornbill (whether due to issues externally or internally).

Would it be worth the users navigating to the page(s) they are having issues with, pressing F12 to open the developer tools in their browser, navigate to the Console tab, then hard refresh (CTRL+F5), and sending the information from the console onto Hornbill once it appears no further activity is taking place?