How to testing a new process?

lee mcdermott

Hi,

i have created a new change process and want to be able to test it. 

however at preset settings are as below - so when selecting a change everyone uses the same RFC proc cap and BP.

Is there any way to add or enable myself to be able to select log a change and be directed to a new procap and BP with out affecting the above so everyone else continues using the current one until I have thoroughly tested the new one?

image.png.0edc32d7a2fe6ebc0d5f76a6ce038d5d.png

I have created a test area (test service only I have access to) and tried adding the new procap and bp to a new form, but due to the fields required to complete the form it needs to be loggged via the servie desk rather than via the portal otherwise it misses some of the required questions you need to answer.

i cannot see how or where I can start or access the new form?

The log a request button currently starts a proccap form that then does a switch capture to various other forms depending on the service selected during logging.

Ive tried doing a switch capture to the new rfc proc capture which sort of works (it means I have to answer various questions before i even switch to my rfc form which is not ideal but then it also seem to pick up the wrong BP as well?

Any help or guidance ideas anyone?

image.png.b7627440bd61dbe32c6816663ac24028.png

image.png.e7b1037e8e92d366a24c17384d4cc966.png

many thanks

lee

Here is one idea that might help.  I've added a branch after the first node in progressive capture (Branches can't be used as the first node).

image.png

The branch does a simple check on a user's session ID.  

image.png

If you add this to your default progressive capture, you don't have to go through all of the other progressive capture questions.  You will just need to modify the expression, adding your login ID and selecting the progressive capture when you want to do some tests.  

Let me know if you think this may work for you.

Regards,

James

Hi Lee,

I've done some more testing, and I did find that you could start with the branch, but you still need at least one node before switching captures.  So with this in mind, I created this flow where it immediately checks if it is me.  If it is it will prompt me if I want to test or not, and then take the appropriate route.  

image.png

• Like 1

@James Ainsworth

hi James

that process adjustement has worked in terms of giving me the option to go down a testing route so thats really useful thanks. I still have wierd issue hopefully you can help with.

My switch capture sends me to my new Pro Cap for logging a change. As part of the Pro capture I have a select service option - in the service list I have a Test service where I have my Change catalog item configured under "changes" as below.

however for some reason I cannot get it to pickup and use the BPM RFCv2?

Any ideas? it seems to use a test RFC called RFC Test that is configured on the  RFC Test catalog item shown in image below rather than that configured in the RFCv2 one?

Am i missing something obvious or how do you get it to pick up a different BPM?

image.thumb.png.af20aa50266daa96e09a7e9e92dfc928.png

image.thumb.png.ff806bc59256688b932ec62a34e4115d.png

@James Ainsworth

ignore the above...rookie mistake..I hadn't re published my new BPM after making changes to it (which was a copy of the RFC Test one) hence the reason i thought it was using the other PM as they were the same initially.

So I think i am at the stage to start testing and debugging issues as my first logging has failed with errors....dam it.

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Good to hear that there has been some progression.  Keeps us posted how you get on.  I also wanted to mention that we have added a tweak that will allow you to branch from the start of a Progressive Capture and go straight to a Switch without having to have that extra node in there, but the prompt can be a nice way to work.  This tweak should be there in an upcoming platform update.