Viewing other teams changes requests

Rohit Govind

Hi,

I'm unable to set allow view and allow task action for other team members for Change Requests without assigning them to the team groups.  I have a department level organisation which all users are members of and they have both view and action set to yes.  This gives them visibility of INC, SR and PM but not CH request.  Is their a way of having the view and action permissions for CH request without having to add users to all the team groups?

Thanks in advance 

Rohit.

Hi @Rohit Govind thanks for the post. 

I am not 100% sure i follow.

Are you saying you have users who are part of a department group, and each member in the department group has the rights to view and complete tasks assigned to the group?

In regards to the tasks, this is different to rights to view Inc, SR, PM's and Changes (all requests), this is handled through roles, and users are assigned roles to govern the request types they can work with, and what rights they have for example, Incident assignee role compared to Incident full access role.

There is then the second level of visibility which is about the users only being able to view requests which are logged against services which they support. 

Are you saying users can't be assigned / view Change Request Tasks? but they can for tasks linked to Inc, Prob, SR's etc?

There is also the issue of what you can do with tasks which are assigned to other members of a group - There is a also an experimental feature called - advanced request task completer which may help here:

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Manager_Experimental_Features

This feature allows a user to complete tasks that are assigned to another person. Supporting teams of a service that is associated to a request will be respected otherwise if a request is not associated to a service, then the user can complete tasks that are assigned to the user's team(s) members.

Apologises if i have misunderstood the issue here?

Hi Steven,

Sorry if I've not been clear enough.  I'll try and explain by answering your questions below:

Are you saying you have users who are part of a department group, and each member in the department group has the rights to view and complete tasks assigned to the group? - Yes I have users as part of a department group that can view and actions tasks.  I've then setup team groups which only the respective team members are in.  All team members within the team group can see all INC/SR/PM and CH requests and all department groups can see all teams INC/SR/PM but not CH requests?

In regards to the tasks, this is different to rights to view Inc, SR, PM's and Changes (all requests), this is handled through roles, and users are assigned roles to govern the request types they can work with, and what rights they have for example, Incident assignee role compared to Incident full access role. - Yep, I understand that rights are handled by roles and all users have the correct roles assigned to them to view/actions INC/SR/PM and CH requests.

There is then the second level of visibility which is about the users only being able to view requests which are logged against services which they support. - Again we have set all teams to have access to all the services and their requests assigned to them.

Are you saying users can't be assigned / view Change Request Tasks? but they can for tasks linked to Inc, Prob, SR's etc? - No, I'm saying until users in the department group can only see INC/SR and PM and not CH requests.  If I then add them to the Team group they can see all requests.  This makes it whole point of setting up teams a pointless.  

There is also the issue of what you can do with tasks which are assigned to other members of a group - There is a also an experimental feature called - advanced request task completer which may help here:

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Manager_Experimental_Features - This is separate but will definitely help with this issue.  Thanks.

This feature allows a user to complete tasks that are assigned to another person. Supporting teams of a service that is associated to a request will be respected otherwise if a request is not associated to a service, then the user can complete tasks that are assigned to the user's team(s) members.

I hope the additional information helps.

Rohit.

@Rohit Govind thanks for the clarifications. 

In the Service Manager App, only Team membership, user roles and supporting teams will govern Request visibility. 

Other Groupings, such as department, cost centre etc are organisational level groupings which can be used for task assignment etc but will not have a bearing on members of a support team seeing or not seeing request types. 

If in Service Manager, you have given all users rights to all request types via their assigned Roles, and you are not defining supporting teams against the services you offer, then i would expect all members of all teams to be able to view and see all requests (regardless of type and team they are assigned too)

If you wanted to only allow users in different Team groupings to only see certain requests / types then this would be managed by only assigning the users the rights to the required request types and utilising supporting teams in the services you offer. 

In the example below, only members of the 4 defined teams would be able to view requests raised against the Desktop support service, and each user in each of these teams would only be able to see Ch etc if they have the role assigned to them which would give them the rights to view / interact with Changes. 

image.png

The team groupings allow for the assignment of requests to the teams, and obviously you can manage workload this way, view lists by team groupings etc but beyond this it is up to you to decide if all team groups should see all request based on the services they are logged against and the roles each user has to view different request types. 

All other grouping types can be used for tasks, subscription to services, for data providers in progressive capture etc. 

I hope i have understood more the challenge now, and that the above makes some sense

Hi Steve,

appreciate your response but I figured why it wasn't displaying the CH requests and that is because the Direct Service process was not being captured in our CH workflow.  I've added this into our Progressive capture as mandatory.

Thanks Again for you input its been useful especially the experimental feature.

Rohit.