Azure User Import failing on Scheduled Task

Afternoon All,

A bit of a weird one. The Azure Import for users has been working happily for some time now. However, over the last month or two the process is falling on the Scheduled Task and the content of the log file is:

2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] ---- Azure Import Utility v4.1.1 ----
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - config goAzure2HUserImport
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - logprefix 
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - dryrun false
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - instanceid 
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - apitimeout 60
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - workers 1

2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Flag - forcerun true
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [WARN] Current version 4.1.1 (patch) is greater than the latest release version on Github 4.2.0
2024/02/07 14:08:15 [MESSAGE] Loading KeySafe Authentication Data: 13

However, if I run this directly from the command line, which in essence is exactly the same thing, it works without issue. Any ideas?

Thanks

Osman

Hi Steve,

No, it is running as a Service Account created explicitly for this task. From the perspective of setup of the Scheduled Task, nothing has changed.

Thanks

@Osman,

The authentication details (Instance ID & API Key) is stored in the import.cfg file that is created/stored with the .exe.

Only the WINDOWS account which CREATED the import.cfg has access to the details it contains!

IF you are running the .exe in YOUR account and all works, then that would explain why the Service Account can't get the info out.

Use "Run As..." or "runas" with the service account to set up the import.cfg which the Service Account will use (under the Task Scheduler)

Hi Sam,

Apologies if I didn't clarify. Both the Scheduled Task and the manual running of the import are both being conducted in the context of the service account.

Thanks

Osman

@Osman then I frankly don't know what the issue might be.

From the error message it appears that your import utility is not self-updating (because your version seems newer than what is on github) - you could try the new 4.2.0 exe and see whether that works (not that I can see anything in that particular release which would make a difference in this particular issue).

Hi Sam,

I suspect the version check logic is broken, as I am reasonably certain 4.1.1 is an older version than 4.2.o, or at least it should be. Will give 4.2.0 a go and will report back.

Thanks

Osman

Have downloaded 4.2.0 and given it a go, log file now looks like this:

2024/02/08 09:09:53 [WARN] Current version 4.2.0 (patch) is greater than or equal to the latest release version on Github 4.2.0

2024/02/08 09:09:53 [ERROR] Error processing authentication: Decryption of authentication data failed: Key not valid for use in specified state.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

@Osman That error is specific to the scenario we have described above.

I can only recommend that you delete the credentials that have been saved and perform the First Run process once more with the Windows User Account that is specified in the Run As entry on the Scheduled Task.

Hi Steve,

Which scenario, do you mean:

The authentication details (Instance ID & API Key) is stored in the import.cfg file that is created/stored with the .exe.

Only the WINDOWS account which CREATED the import.cfg has access to the details it contains!

IF you are running the .exe in YOUR account and all works, then that would explain why the Service Account can't get the info out.

Use "Run As..." or "runas" with the service account to set up the import.cfg which the Service Account will use (under the Task Scheduler)

That was from SamS' response of the 7th Feb?

If so, I already clarified that both the Scheduled Task and the manual execution of the import are being performed by the exact same account.

Thanks

Osman

The Documentation is very clear on this specific error and as far as I am aware can only occur when the Accounts do not match.

To rule out any issues with the configuration file we are recommending deleting this and re-authenticating with the First Run steps as per the troubleshooting notes:

This error can occur for either of the below states and can be resolved by either running the import as the same session user and on the same computer that the original import authentication took place, or by resetting the encrypted credentials

Hi Steve,

But neither of the conditions in the Documentation:

• When the user who runs the import is not the same user who first ran the import;
  • When the import is run on a different computer from the one that originally performed the authentication details encryption.

Is true in my case, as I have stated at least twice already. It is the same device and using the same user that originally processed it. Also, this does not explain why running the import manually using the command prompt works?

Anyway, I will do as suggested. We have three other imports that are also run for other types of user, what impact will it have on those, as they are all running through a schedules task?

Thanks

Osman

Hi Steve,

Did exactly as suggested and it has actually made things worse, I got an error on recreation of the import.cfg of:

[ERROR] Error Loading KeySafe Authentication: The API key being used does not have permission to access this keysafe record

This has not only broken the User import, but it has also broken all other imports we had setup. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Osman

Looks like I am back to square one, the underlying cause of the error on my last post was that there were missing rules in the API Key. I am still getting the following error:

2024/03/18 09:05:16 [WARN] Current version 4.2.0 (patch) is greater than or equal to the latest release version on Github 4.2.0
2024/03/18 09:05:16 [ERROR] Error processing authentication: Decryption of authentication data failed: Key not valid for use in specified state.

Having been through the Azure Import documentation again, there is a suggestion that the executable should be in the profile folder of the user that undertook the first run, tested this on the offchance that it would make a difference, still getting the error above.

I still don't understand how running from the command line works without issue, but fails as part of a Scheduled Task.

• 1 month later...

Spoke too soon, it worked once and hasn't since. I bit the bullet and completely recreated the Scheduled Task, it is still failing with the exact same error shown above, see latest below:

2024/04/29 08:38:28 [MESSAGE] You're running the latest version of this utility: 4.2.1
2024/04/29 08:38:28 [ERROR] Error processing authentication: Decryption of authentication data failed: Key not valid for use in specified state.

The import still runs without issue from the Command Prompt, any ideas?