ITOM - inventory discovery Virtual Server

Hi, I'm very new to ITOM, we only installed the service a few weeks ago so we can start to utilise some on premise AD automation in some of our processes. My colleague has set up a virtual server for this purpose and installed Site Integration Services, AD web services and AD PowerShell module. The server has been paired up with SIS and all looks okay, but, when I've added an IT Automation node into a new process (to add a user to a group), I get the following when it comes to this point in the process when I do a test request:

The specified computer 'xxxxx' was not found in the inventory so cannot be used as a target for an IT Automation job...

I obviously need to discover/import the server into Hornbill but I can't figure out how to discover a virtual server. Is it possible? I'm still not sure whether I've got the right identifier/name in for the group or if the variable I've used to get the customer info is right either, but I can't test any of it fully till I get over this bit. 

If anyone's got experience of this or done a similar setup, I'd really appreciate any advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

@JanS2000 It's certainly possible to discover a virtual server, and you can use the SIS virtual server as the target for your IT Automation jobs.

As a first step, you'll need to set up and run a Discovery Job - Hornbill . That will only need to use a Manual List - Hornbill of one computer - the SIS server itself. Once that is discovered, then you can go into the Inventory - Hornbill and mark the discovered server as Managed.

In order to run the discovery job, you will need a KeySafe - Hornbill entry of type 'Username + password' that contains valid credentials to connect to the server.

Graham

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Graham, I tried creating a manual list but kept getting an error. I'll have a look at those links and give it a try, thank you. 

Hi  @SamS, I'm not sure what you mean sorry. Our Asset service was a static list that we imported when we first started using Hornbill, and we add items manually when new equipment is purchased. I've added the server in as an asset to our instance but obviously this didn't work. I'll have another read of the content you've provided a link to as well, thanks.

Hi @Graham the error was -

Error doing integer conversion for param 'type', type_name=sisInventoryListType. Invalid input for base conversion: manualSelection

I couldn't run the discovery as it doesn't detect the virtual server. I'll have another go though following yours and Sam's advice and see if I can get any further, thanks.

@JanS2000 Hmmm...  That doesn't sound right!

Can you post a screenshot of the job setup that's giving you that error?

Not sure what you mean by "I couldn't run the discovery as it doesn't detect the virtual server". The discovery is the process that detects the servers on the network, so if the discovery job itself isn't running, that will be for some other reason.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Graham said:

@JanS2000 Hmmm...  That doesn't sound right!

Can you post a screenshot of the job setup that's giving you that error?

Not sure what you mean by "I couldn't run the discovery as it doesn't detect the virtual server". The discovery is the process that detects the servers on the network, so if the discovery job itself isn't running, that will be for some other reason.

Morning @Graham, thanks again. I'm going to have another crack at this today. I think I'm doing something wrong to be honest, so I'll follow your guidance from earlier and see if I get any further. I'll try to take screenshots as I go so you can see what I'm doing, and point out where I've gone wrong if it doesn't work.

Hi @Graham, thanks so much for your help. I've followed the guidance you gave and I've successfully discovered the server and added it to the managed inventory. I've got further in my process now so can see where else I need to make changes (group ID, customer details etc.) as that doesn't work but I can focus on that bit now. I might be back with more queries and requests for help while I get to grips with ITOM. One of the best things about using Hornbill for me, is the support and advice received via this community. Hornbill personnel and users have helped me loads since I joined, and I really appreciate it. Thank you!