Gender and Pronoun options in User Profile

Berto2002

I see a Gender option in the User Profile and activating it shows options for only Male and Female in a drop-down for the User.

How do I configure these options? I think ideally I would like to have this free-text rather than pre-selected for obvious reasons.

We're on an inclusivity drive and am looking for ways to enable personalisation if required by users.

While we're here, I have used-up one of the custom Attributes for "Preferred Pronoun" but you might like to consider having that as a new specific field in future.

This is not a biggie but the younger generation are more aware of these things and we should all be thinking forwards.

Hi @Berto2002

Thanks for your post.  I've had a look and I can't see anywhere that the gender field can be modified.  So, I'm assuming that the options are hard-coded.  It's possible that something like this is already in our backlog to have a look at.  For now, you may want to use one of the custom fields for a new gender field where you can define your own list, and keep the one that is hard-coded as hidden.  

@Berto2002

To be honest this field has not been used at all, its not intended for pro-nounus or other profile identifier augmentation, so its been on the list to remove for quite some time. Unfortunately the modern-day use of pronouns on user profiles has become a very politically charged debate that as a business I would like Hornbill to steer clear of.  The best approach to support this for your organisation would be to use one of the custom attribute fields for this purpose. 

Gerry

It's only in my back pocket for now but I support your sentiment. I'm just thinking ahead to the point that our SDesk should be able to easily see if someone's pronouns is specific when they reply and interact. Wishing us all good luck...

• Haha 1

The user handle can be another good place for adding pronouns.  The handle is like your name tag.  A user can simply append this with their pronouns.  As the handle is visible in most areas, this would also mean that there is better visibility than having it in a custom field.