Request Import from Sales force 'Desk'

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

I don't think we've had a requirement to import requests from a Desk.com instance as yet, but it should be relatively straightforward to build something to help you do that. As Desk is in the cloud, do you have access to the data directly (for example a dump of the database that we can read records from), or would you be looking to grab the data via their REST APIs?

Cheers,
Steve

@Steve G

At the moment it is a live instance in the cloud, so in theory we could gain access from the API, however given the  potential short turn around required if it does go ahead we may be more looking to extract data via CSV.

The aim is to append this into our existing live instance, so there would need to be some mapping of services between the current system and Service Manager.

Cheers

Martyn

@Martyn Houghton

One of my colleagues recently released an ODBC request import tool, that can use a CSV as its data source, so that may do what you need. It's in beta at the moment, but it lives here if you wanted to take a look: https://github.com/hornbill/goODBC_RequestImport

I'll have a look at the code and see how far away it is from being promoted out of beta. Will let you know once done.

Thanks,
Steve

@Martyn Houghton

Just a quick note - I've written and released a generic request import tool, which you will be able to use to import your Desk.com data from using ODBC (so can access CSV, XLS data etc), or a direct database source. Details and link to download are on the Hornbill wiki

This is the tool that should be used going forward, as the previous ODBC-only tool that only reached beta will be deprecated.

Unlike the previous ODBC import tool, this utility doesn't require a merge of your request data and historic update data into the same CSV or XLS worksheet, so it's much easier to get your data to an import-ready state. With Excel spreadsheets, the request and diary update data are stored in different worksheets, and with CSV files they can be stored in completely different CSV's - just as long as the CSV's are in the same folder and the ODBC connection to them is configured as such. I've supplied demo config files for SQL, CSV and XLS imports as part of the release, so it should hopefully be self-explanatory, have a look at how the RequestQuery and RequestHistoricUpdateQuery params are structured.

Give me a tag on here if you have any issues with it :)

Cheers,
Steve