Allow re-open without Team / Owner

samwoo

Hello,

I would like to be able to allow users to re-open tickets without a team or owner and let the Business Process to auto-assign to the relevant teams. I am making a change tonight which will automate the resolving a reopen process (which also relates to another call I raised about not being able to re-assign to the resolving team).

When a ticket goes into the "Service Desk" holding area after being resolved, we need users to be able to reopen tickets WITHOUT a Human Task. Unfortunately I had turn ON the setting:

app.request.allowResolveCloseWithoutAnalyst

To show the resolve button so users can reopen the request. If i had this turned off, then users would have had to assign the ticket to a team as well as setting an owner. Once that is done ONLY then they can reopen a ticket. It's not ideal hence the reason for turning the setting ON.

I am now forced to think of a way to detect whether there is an "Owner" of a ticket  and force them to set an Owner if there is none - which I didn't really want to do.

Can we have it so "Reopen" becomes its own button along the list of actions if a call is Resolved?

Thanks,

Samuel

Hello,

Can we also add a way to identify whether a request was reopened in the IT Portal or in Service Manager?

Thanks,

Samuel

• 2 weeks later...

@samwoo Can I begin by seeking clarification on one of your questions:

1. When you say you would like to allow users to re-open a call without a team or owner, is it not possible to use the Automated Task shown and just not specify a team? Have you tried that?

2. Secondly I have two test systems on one of them the app.request.allowResolveCloseWithoutAnalyst is ON and on the other the same setting is off. In both cases when I have a resolved call, the reopen button shows.  As far as I know the inability to see the re-open button is a role issue. There was a time when you would require Incident Management Full Access to see that button but let me confirm if that is still the case. What roles do they users have?

NoTeam.PNG

Hi Sam,

thanks for your post.
I'd be interested to know a little bit more about the way you're operating. As you're probably aware, the concept of "Ownership" is one of the core principles of the Hornbill Platform and exists in all the apps that you might install.
Many of the objects across the apps are subject to an owner, such as documents, activities, and of course requests. This is intentional and aims to help an ethos of responsibility.

While you raise an interesting suggestion regarding the "reopen" button, my first question would be, why is the request passed back to a holding queue once its been resolved? Why wouldn't the resolving team maintain ownership through to closure? The closure of the ticket is when we can be confident that the request has been dealt with.

If its a question of removing the request from the teams field of view, resolved requests can be filtered out.

To broaden the scope of my response and talk a little more generally, have you got metrics in place to understand how frequently requests get reopened and to capture the reasons why this is happening? Are agents being too overzealous in resolving requests without proper consideration for the customers needs. Are customers tagging on new issues to an existing request?

Typically, the best solution to this challenge begins much further upstream.

Dan

21 hours ago, Pamela said:

1. When you say you would like to allow users to re-open a call without a team or owner, is it not possible to use the Automated Task shown and just not specify a team? Have you tried that?

Sorry I meant being able to re-open a ticket, without assigning a Team or Owner. In terms of using the Automated Task to specify a team....

1. The Service Manager users have to define a team at least (mandatory) when reopening the request manually against a ticket, it would be good if they could just Reopen it to allow an Automated Task to do the work.
2. As all our calls are moved to the Service Desk queue after resolution, we need to make sure that it will re-open back to the team that resolved it in the first place (which could be different from the team it was raised to). I have a forum post about this:

20 hours ago, DanielRi said:

While you raise an interesting suggestion regarding the "reopen" button, my first question would be, why is the request passed back to a holding queue once its been resolved? Why wouldn't the resolving team maintain ownership through to closure? The closure of the ticket is when we can be confident that the request has been dealt with.

I am not sure why actually, this is the way it has always been done since we've started with Hornbill (as far as I know)... before I started supporting it. Any resolved calls gets moved to the Service Desk queue, and closed after 5 days. The beauty is that the resolving team is still stamped against the request in Hornbill, which allows for ease of reporting. If I were to suggest changing it, I will be told no... unless there is a valid reason for having to change it. It's been working so far, but these days we need to automate the reopen process hence the reason I have raised this.

To briefly summarise on what's been happening, we are going through a big change here, and as part of the 21C project across the whole council, there is going to be a lot more self service and automation, and I'm just finding ways to improve customer (co-workers from other teams/departments) and staff (Hornbill Service Manager users) experience from the IT side as much as possible in line with this massive change. Telephone calls will become far less (unless for emergency reasons or for users who are unable to log tickets one way or another), and therefore we need to ensure a smooth experience for all with Hornbill.

I hope that helps to explain it a bit, please let me know if you need more clarification for anything.

Thanks,

Samuel