Asset Import - CSV example for use with

Good morning,

I am looking to use CSV for the Asset Import. The initial configuration should be fine, but there are no details on how to populate the Software Asset Inventory using a CSV import.

I have my CSV file, and in there I have a "Software" column, which is currently a JSON - is this correct? Does the Asset Import read the JSON contents for the specifying the mappings in the Asset Import config file?

Any assistances / examples would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi @samwoo,

What you are trying to do is not (currently) possible with the tool.

Because CSV is flat-file, it was not envisioned to be used to populate the "Installed Software" area.

The CSV can be used to populate Software Assets, without a problem.

There would be a few solutions that the developer would need to consider on how to incorporate it:

1. A JSON field with all installed software might be easy for the developer, but it would be quite difficult for most people to provide that data structured correctly in a CSV.
  2. A more straightforward alternative would be to have the installed software listed in a separate CSV file (with a specific field to identify the asset it relates to - so filtering on that file can happen) OR
  3. over multiple CSV files with the file name somehow linking back to the asset.

Both these CSV formats would be easier for people to create.

Hi @SamS,

I think the second option to go hand-in-hand with the main CSV import might be the most easiest for users.

In my case I was easily able to convert the Software object into a JSON that was incorporated into the extract of the CSV file, but I can see why this might be difficult to manage across the board.

Is this something the developers would be willing discuss and look into?

Thanks,

Samuel