Azure AD Import - Removing the use of Proxy

We're currently in the process of removing the need of a proxy from our servers and trying to do this for the server that runs our Azure AD user imports. I have removed the proxy from the server via how we normally set it and removed from the Environment Variables however when I run the import it is still using the proxy. Is there anywhere else or is it now somehow encoded into the config files to still use the proxy and how do I stop this?

• 2 months later...

Upon having to turn off one of our Proxy servers the import started to fail.

I was able to change this to another proxy server however we want to stop using the proxy for this.

I followed the new guide where it said about using SET HTTP=Proxy:PORT and this failed to change it.

I had to change the Environment Variable in the advanced system settings to be able to change server how even removing this does not bypass the proxy, it still tries to use it and fails.

Please advise

James

The tool does not have anything inherently built to use connections via proxy it simply uses the connection set in the environment... in cmd prompt window if you type in 

netsh winhttp show proxy

what do you get?

If the environment has no proxies configured it should show something like this:

image.png

If the tool still tries to connect via proxies it is the connection in your environment still set to use proxies. Maybe the machine needs a restart once the proxy config is reset (removed). However, I am no expert in this area.

Hi Victor, netsh winhttp is currently blank.

This is where I had to set it when we first ever setup and even if I removed these it would still point to the proxy. From remembering we had to set these in here as our scheduled task runs as the local system account

image.png.fb39027498292a78ce16ffcfd7c5ed30.png

@JamesGreen ok... as mentioned above the tool does not have anything "built-in" to route connections through proxies it simply uses the connection as provided by the environment where it runs... so I would say something in your environment has the connection routed through the proxy... maybe the machine itself needs to be restarted after the changes, not sure... but not my area of expertise I'm afraid..