Unable to create a new shared mailbox

JanS2000

Morning, I'm trying to create a new shared mailbox (we have a spare licence for this), but I keep getting the error "The specified mailbox doesn't exist or you have not been granted access to it".

I want to set this up the same way we have our service desk mailbox, which auto-forwards to live.hornbill and comes into the system mailbox. Do I need to do something different to set it up like this? I checked the guidance in the WIKI but can't see anything where I need to create it anywhere else first, this is where I thought they were created - platform config/shared mailboxes/create mailbox.

I've created a security role already and given myself access, but am unable to add the mailbox at this point, as it hasn't been created yet. 

I'm obviously missing something, so would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction please, thank you! Also, apologies if this is posted to the wrong topic, I wasn't sure where this sat as none of the options seemed the right one.

image.png

Hi @JanS2000

Thanks for your post.

Could you specify the exact step at which point the error message is displayed?

The main steps for creating a shared mailbox are

1. Open Configuration
  2. Search for "Shared Mailboxes"
  3. Open the "Shared Mailbox" view by clicking on it in the results list
  4. Click on the "Add Mailbox" button
  5. Complete the "Mailbox" and "Display Name" fields
  6. Click on "Save"

Provided that you have admin access, there shouldn't be any other requirements for adding a mailbox.

Once the Shared Mailbox has been created you can then associate the Role to provide access to users.  

I've logged in as admin and it's let me add the new shared mailbox, thanks @James Ainsworth. When I set the inbound mail service settings, do I use the same for the new mailbox as our original one (e.g. IP address and username)? The new shared mailbox will be used by a different team/services for their requests. I'm assuming only the email address in the address settings needs to be different.

Morning @James Ainsworth, thanks again for your help. I didn't set the original shared mailbox up so wasn't sure. So, as long as the username is this format, xxxxx@live.hornbill.com, does it matter what the prefix is if the domain is right, and it's a different name to the other mailbox?