Creating a Problem Ticket

Osman

Afternoon All,

I am having a bit of a puzzler. I am currently customising our Problem process and wish to set the Service being used without human intervention at the Progressive Capture stage. I can't seem to be able to do it, I can narrow it down so that only the Service category with the Service to  be used is visible, but how can I set the service in the background?

Thanks

Osman

Hi @Osman

Thanks for your post.  Intelligent Capture is mostly focusing on presenting questions to a user and then raising a ticket based on that information.  There isn't a way to use the Services Intelligent Capture form without displaying it and requiring a selection from the user.  However, you are able to set the Service from within the Business Process workflow.

Using the Update Request->Service  Hornbill Automation you can set the Service and the Request Catalog Item.  It can also assess the BPM, meaning that it will look at the Service and/or Catalog Item's set BPM, and apply that BPM if it is different from the one that might already be set against the ticket.  This Hornbill Automation is something that you would want to add right near the beginning of your workflow.  Depending on the information captured in Intelligent Capture, you may even have a decision node that branches out to apply a deferent service depending on your captured information

image.png

Let us know if this is what your looking for.

Hi James,

I think I may have misled slightly, it is not really the Service that needs to be dynamically selected, but the Catalog Item. In a nutshell, I want the analyst to take a few a number of steps to be able to create a new Problem record. I see this achieved in a couple of different ways:

- A progressive capture that has a hidden form with the Service>Catalog Item pre-selected;

- A custom button on the Request List page that is similar in function to those Links that can be added on the Self Service portal. The ones that can be directed via url at a specific Catalog Item;

- Re-writing the underlying target url of the button on the Request List page labelled Request New > Problem so that it points to the URL for the Catalog Item we are using for Problems.

Are any of these options achievable?

I thought one of these two app settings would be the key:

image.png.24429ecb33ca2e804fac785108fdc367.png

But I can't seem to set app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newProblem to blank?

Thanks

Osman

Hi @Osman

Regarding the two mentioned settings.  The first setting,  app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newProblem, is the name of the Intelligent Capture that is initially run when you click on the option to raise a New Problem.  If this was set to blank, no Intelligent Capture would be run at all.  The setting app.requests.defaultBPMProcess.problem is a default BPM for problem records.  This is most often used as a fallback if no BPM Process workflow has been set against the Service or Request Catalog Item.

Non of the three points that you have mentioned are things that can be done as described.  

I'm still thinking that my previous suggesting using the Update->Service BPM Automation would still work with this scenario.

The provided Intelligent Capture forms are there as a starting point for achieving a number of aspects of raising a request, but there are also the custom forms for when you want to take it outside of what these forms do.

Working through raising a problem, these options may achieve what you are looking for.

1. Agent clicks on New Problem
  2. Intelligent Capture set in the setting app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newProblem is run
  3. Custom Forms within that Intelligent Capture can be created and displayed that gather the information that you need to raise the problem record.  This could include your own picklist that has the names of the Services that you which to be able to raise problems under.
  4. The BPM then uses the Update-Service automation to take the information captures in the Intelligent Capture to apply the service and a set request catalog item

Sorry if I'm still not fully understanding.  If so, maybe a bit more detail on what you would like to achieve, putting aside which tech and features are used.  

Hi James,

It is likely that I am not being clear. Firstly, I did try the suggestion but this is only available for Requests and not Problems, also, I could not see a way to select an explicit Catalog Item. I believe that I need to place a specific reference in the field below:

image.thumb.png.05fbbfb9a9773266adbe0272e27c389d.png

Our process of raising problems is:

1. Raise New Problem:

image.png.33c005aa92c512ccf892a3afabbe8143.png

2. Complete Summary and Description

image.thumb.png.e476314faa4fe6c653facdd042e9e92c.png

3. Select Category

image.thumb.png.e741a39497510709ad6933be27f527fe.png

4. Select Service > Catalog Item

image.thumb.png.88b7f3fa9a9b9272ae7779919c8fc697.png

In an ideal world we should be able to combine steps 2. and 3. and dispense with 4. altogether as we would only ever use the same BPM for all Problems created.

Hopefully, that is a little clearer as to what we are trying to achieve.

Thanks

Osman

Hi @Osman

Steps 2 and 3 can't be combined into a single form.  The Category tree selector is quite specific and can't be added to a custom form as custom forms don't offer any tree controls.  However, you could move the category selection into the BPM workflow and have the agent select it after the problem record has been created.  It might be that the category is not initially known until some initial investigation has been done.  This means that the person raising the problem only has the one form to fill out, Summary and Description, and even that could be simplified into a single field if you wish.

If you are always going to raise problems against the same service, then the Service Details form can be removed from the Intelligent Capture script and it can be done using the Update Request->Service automation as described above.  First, you will need to make sure that Problems have been enabled on the Service under which you want them raised.

image.png

If all problems are going to be using the same BPM workflow, then this can be set within the following setting...

image.png

Having a Request Catalog Item for this scenario is optional.  Request Catalog Items are generally used for creating a set of questions for a particular scenario that need to be answered as part of the process of raising the problem record.  Request Catalog Items are available with Problem Records as you can see from this screen shot below.  However, I'm thinking that the are not needed for what you are trying to achieve.  

image.png

In summary...

1. Set the setting app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newProblem to the name of the Intelligent Capture Script you want to use for raising all problem records
  2. Set the setting app.requests.defaultBPMProcess.problem to the name of the BPM you want to use for all problem records
  3. In your Intelligent Capture Script (that is set in the above setting), have a single form for Request Details.
  4. Enable Problems under the service you want to use for managing problem records
  5. In your BPM Workflow (that is set in the above setting),  add as the very first node the update->service automation to set the service on the problem record
  6. In your BPM Workflow, add the suspend and wait for category at a point that you want the the person to set the category
  7. In your BPM Workflow, if would be advisable to assign the problem to a team using the Assignment Automation, making sure this team "supports" the service

Let me know if that gets you closer to what you are trying to achieve.  Once you have the above set up, it can be easily expanded on.

• Like 1