Discovery information probe Failed

Hello, First time ITOm user here.

Having followed the ITOM Wiki guide and created the necessary accounts etc. During the initial discovery (using WinRM), the task is reporting

" Discovery information probe for (machine name) failed".

Can anyone tell me what we could have done wrong here to produce this result?

Hi @QEHNick

There should be more detail about the failure in the summary report. This is presented in both the Execution Log tab and the Console Output tabs for the discovery job. The Console Output is the better of the two, as it does not include all the other information related to running the job.

The summary groups the discovered computers. What do you have in the "Information Acquisition Failure" section?

I've just noticed Our tech guys have not applied the correct privileges. I'm guessing this is why.

• Replace a process-level token. (SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege)
  • Act as part of the operating system. (SeTcbPrivilege)

15 minutes ago, QEHNick said:

I've just noticed Our tech guys have not applied the correct privileges. I'm guessing this is why.

• Replace a process-level token. (SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege)
  • Act as part of the operating system. (SeTcbPrivilege)

@QEHNick Where are you seeing this error? This should only apply to executing packages, and not to discovery.

15 minutes ago, QEHNick said:

DNS lookup failed. Error: No such host is known on all items

For this, can you share the discovery job configuration? In particular, the discovery mode you are using and the related discovery settings?

4 minutes ago, QEHNick said:

Error is in the Console Output.

Whereabouts in the console output? Can you post the full line that you are seeing, and ideally a few lines above and below for context?

7 minutes ago, QEHNick said:

Not sure how to get the job config from the existing job,

If you click the green button to the top right for the current job, that allows you to re-run the job. It copies all the input parameters, so that will show you the configuration for the current job. As you are using Active Directory for the mode, what do you have for the container?

Also, are you seeing this error for every system listed in the summary report?

@QEHNick Are all the objects it's discovering computers? Your comment of "It happily reads the user objects." is making me wonder!

What the discovery process is doing is enumerating all the OUs in the top-level container, the OUs within those and so on down the whole OU hierarchy and then, for each OU, extracting all the objects with a category of "computer".

@QEHNick

For the computers that fail the ping, as you have configured discovery to ping them first, they won't be added.
For the computers that fail the DNS lookup, discovery will also not add a computer where it can't resolve the name, because it can't connect to that computer and so can't get any inventory information from it. However, that would be one for your network administrators to look at. I would expect that all computers in the domain would be resolvable. It may be that the DNS configuration on the ITOM server needs to be reviewed and modified.

Are there any other errors in the summary report, apart from the ping and DNS lookup failures?