Outbound Mail Routing - SPF Record query

DFarran

Good Afternoon,

We are looking at trying to move away from using the @live.hornbill.com address for our outbound emails and want to us our own email address/domain. From reading the guidance it says we need to add an SPF record, when i passed this onto our technical architect he raised a potential security risk that this would allow any hornbill customers to send emails as if they were coming from our domain. Is this how it would be or is there anything in place to prevent this?

Regards,

Daniel.   

@DFarran

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for pointing that out.  Your TA is correct, technically this is possible but we do police this to make sure that does not happen. However, now you have raised this I am going to raise a change internally to look at how we secure this in a way that it would be impossible for a Hornbill customers to spoof another Hornbill customers domain, probably by requesting a "proof of domain ownership" record to be added to DNS which we can verify and lock the domain to the customers instance. 

Thanks,

Gerry

Hi @Gerry,

Thanks for the reply, is there anyway to be kept up to date with the progress of the change? I think our compliance manager will want us to hold off until there is something in place to prevent the possibility of spoofing so it would be good to see the progress.

Regards,

Daniel.