Can't get Switch Capture to Work in Incidents

DougA

I've implemented Switch Capture in Service Requests to great effect. I've been able to add context sensitive questions into the ProCap. Our analysts are finding it much quicker and easier to raise service requests which is great.

So I decided I'd start implementing it for Incidents as well but it isn't working. Here's the section from the ProCap.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.41ccd7dd2902dc80a3cf78a9eab4e99a.PNG

And this is the first part of the ProCap it's switching to.

Capture4.PNG.877b5268fbc421b629b52f45d7207fd9.PNG

It seems to reach the target process but then the screen seems to flash through a number of tasks and before finally displaying all of the CIs for all request types.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Doug

6 minutes ago, DougA said:

I've implemented Switch Capture in Service Requests to great effect. I've been able to add context sensitive questions into the ProCap. Our analysts are finding it much quicker and easier to raise service requests which is great.

So I decided I'd start implementing it for Incidents as well but it isn't working. Here's the section from the ProCap.

Capture3.thumb.PNG.41ccd7dd2902dc80a3cf78a9eab4e99a.PNG

And this is the first part of the ProCap it's switching to.

Capture4.PNG.877b5268fbc421b629b52f45d7207fd9.PNG

It seems to reach the target process but then the screen seems to flash through a number of tasks and before finally displaying all of the CIs for all request types.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

With the decision node have you got it set as shown below?
CaptureIDisSet.png.272c836fa78495840f2a13fd70b8d16e.png

It will go down this route if there is a catalog ID present from your selection.

Thanks,

Samuel

Thanks @samwoo

Here's the decision node details.

Capture5.PNG.58427766d8c0bad60c13a6fd269ddc49.PNG

I was pretty certain it was but when someone mentions you suddenly think it might not be. Rather like being asked 5 miles from home if you've turned the gas off!

Anyway, I've checked and yes, it is set to the catalogProgressiveCaptureID.

It appears to be switching to the target process but that's where it goes wrong. It redisplays the services form which it shouldn't be doing.

Thanks

Doug

17 minutes ago, DougA said:

Thanks @samwoo

Here's the decision node details.

Capture5.PNG.58427766d8c0bad60c13a6fd269ddc49.PNG

I was pretty certain it was but when someone mentions you suddenly think it might not be. Rather like being asked 5 miles from home if you've turned the gas off!

Anyway, I've checked and yes, it is set to the catalogProgressiveCaptureID.

It appears to be switching to the target process but that's where it goes wrong. It redisplays the services form which it shouldn't be doing.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

Apologies i've just noticed the second screenshot on your first post.

When you select a Catalog in the list of Services, using the Decision Node it will switch to Progressive Capture assign to the chosen catalog.

When it arrives to the chosen catalogue, it's bringing up the list of Services again. If you take that out, and ensure that all the forms in the ProCap as set so they do not skip it should work.
ProCap.png.50e9b90c4219a63929d8e8473be86ea9.png

Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Samuel

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I do need to use the service details form in the target process as well. That's what I'm doing in the Service Requests and it works in there.

However when I tested your idea it did give me a little more info. After the switch to the target process the information panel on the right was completely blank. It had lost all of the values captured in the main form.

Does that give anyone any ideas  of where  to look next?

Thanks

Doug

Hi @DougA

This is strange behavior - the "auto skipping" when clicking a catalog item is our older way of transitioning between Captures - and should only occur if you do not have the Switch Capture node. If you have the Switch Capture node present, when you click the catalog item, it should highlight but remain on the Service screen until you physically click "Next". 

A couple of things to potentially try here:
1) In your default Incident capture, could you change the "Parent Selected" criteria to "No Match" instead (it will do the same thing - we recommend to always have the "No Match" option present when configuring a branch. Save that and test again

2) If that fails, it may be worth deleting the "Switch Capture" node, and recreating it and the branch criteria again. Sometimes a refresh of a node can clear any problems. 

Let me know how you get on

Kind Regards

Bob

Hi Doug,

I suspect Samuel is on the right track here. During my implementations I don't advise that the "Select Service" form is present in the target process as there is a potential for some unusual behavior.

The "Select Service" form is a key player in progressive capture. As Bob highlights, in the days before the Switch Process node, the Service form would be in control of the transition between Progressive Captures and this behavior is only suppressed by the inclusion of a Switch Capture node. 

In your target flow, a switch process node probably wont be present (quite rightly) which means that if you have the Service details form in there its "transitioning characteristics" (for want of a better phrase) will be active.

What could be happening here, is that (as by design) the values captured in the initial presentation of the form are being carried through in the transition and auto-selected in the second presentation of that form. This means that the process is likely transitioning correctly, but is immediately hitting the service form which it technically already has values for (as specified in the previous capture) therefore (in effectively the same breath) triggers the old-style "transitioning characteristic".

I'm not sure why this would be "working" for your Service Request set-up, but I would just emphasise that it wouldn't be considered best practice to present the "Select Service" form in a target Progressive capture flow when using the new Switch-Process-node approach.

Hope that helps,
Dan

@DanielRi @Bob Dickinson

Hi Gents, Thanks for all the help but it's still not quite right. I've removed the "Select Service" form from the target process. In the parent process I changed the decision from testing for the CatalogProgressiveCaptureId not set to a test for Not Found.

The switch to the target process is working BUT the data is not being transferred from the parent to the child. This the form prompt immediately before the switch.

Capture7.PNG.698843dd6d4474206336fa7e2d8069f0.PNG

And this is when it's in the target.

Capture8.PNG.181a8dd0c420d132834a3d22aea5bad9.PNG

Just one more possible clue, the transfer occurs the moment the CI is highlighted and not when Next is clicked.

Regards

Doug

Hi @DougA

Could you confirm what route you are using to create the Incidents?  is it the Raise New Incident option, or are you experiencing this using the generic Raise New button?  I seem to be able to replicate this through the Raise New Incident button, but it works as expected for both Incidents and Service Requests through the Raise New button, so the team are taking a look at this.

The second part of this would be to see if you had the Service Requests Switch working correctly via the Raise New or via the Raise New Service Request button?  as i seem to be able to replicate the issue on the request type specific buttons (INC / SR) but not on the Raise New button.

If you could let us know that would be great

Steve

Guest Mohamed

Hi @DougA,

Just wish to confirm which version of Service Manager are you running? In addition, would it be possible to see how you've setup your Catalog Item

Thanks

Mohamed

@Steven Boardman I've just tried it through the generic Raise New and that has worked perfectly. If I choose the Raise New Incident it fails.

Change Requests seem to work correctly through the generic or specific Raise New.

@Mohamed We're up to date running Server Release build 2685 and Administration Release build 520. Here's a snapshot of the CI configuration.

Capture9.thumb.PNG.55462f9f98551c343c8fee4332f7c0c7.PNG

Thanks

Doug

@DougA

Having taken some advice on this, there does seem to be a known issue with similar named PC's. if you have left your default Incident one as new incident would you mind making a copy of this, and renaming it to something else - say hantsfrs.   Once you have done that if you go to the settings under Service Manager in the admin tool, and navigate to page 2, you will see an option to set the PC to use when logging an Incident.  If you change this to the name of your coped PC and save it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 10.54.23.png

If you log your analyst out and back in and try raising an Incident using the Raise New Incident does this help?

I can see the PC it will jump to in your CI is Live - Incident Management ( Hardware), but i am referring to the default PC which is invoked when you click on the Raise New Incident button

Steve

@Steven Boardman

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by similarly names PCs. However, the app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newincident was set to "Live - Incident Management". I copied the PC, saved it as a new name and changed the setting accordingly. After logging out and back on again we found it made no difference.

Doug

@DougA

Sorry i wasn't clear in my explanation, basically there is an issue which is addressed in the next Service Manager build (due for release next week). Currently if your PC names are similar i.e they all look like Live - Incident Management (something), then when the query which runs to evaluate which PC to execute, what query is using a LIKE condition rather than an exact match, and as such we see issues like you are describing, as it is finding multiple possible matches and using the first one which was created - as i say this is fixed and will be available next week.

In the meantime, if you change the name of the PC in the system setting to something 'random' then this should act as a workaround for you.

I was able to replicate the symptons you described with the PC i had defined for logincident, and by simply giving it another name in the system settings above it worked as expected.  

When you changed the name of the PC, did you continue your existing naming conventions of Live - xxx ?  if so could you try it with something else like PCtest and see if this works for you?  obviously if it does (as it did for me) this is only needed until the next SM update next week and then you can revert to your existing naming convention.

If this still does not work after creating a copy with a random name, changing the PC system setting accordingly and then logging out and back in as the analyst please let us know?

Steve