How to set category level without a service?

DougA

In services, request configuration it's possible to set the Request and Resolution Category Level for each of the request types. As we're a mere babe in arms on the maturity model we're not using services (yet) so the Progressive Capture doesn't request the Service. As a result the category drop downs are giving every option and not just from a level.

Is there a way to set the category level without using a service?

I've set app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newIncident and app.requests.defaultBPMProcess.incident to use the correct scripts but I couldn't find an option for the level.

Hope that all makes sense

Regards

Doug Antill

Guest NadeemMazhar

Hi @DougA,

Many thanks for your forum post. It is possible to set a category level in a business process by selecting an 'automated task node, select the Update Request as 'type' and the 'task' set to Logging Category. Once this is set, it will open up a number of options to allow you to select a category for that particular business process. 

Please see my screenshot of how to create this node and its settings

Kind regards

Nadeem

DougA_screenshot.jpg

Hi @DougA

Thanks for your post.  I would say that no matter what the level of maturation is, all Support teams are providing a service to those users needing assistance.   Something that you may want to consider is creating a single service and raise all of your requests using this service.  It could just be something generic like "Support Services" or "IT Support".  Even with this one service it will open up all the options that can be used and configured as part of a service.

With a single service you wouldn't need to include the service selection in progressive capture, but you may find that once you get a hold of the request catalog items you will want to include this.  With a single service you can set all requests by default to be associated to this service.  

Regards,

James

That's a very interesting thought. I'd been planning on using services for service requests but not for Incident Management. Is there a way to set the Service for incidents in a similar way to the category?

That's a very interesting thought. Maybe I've been looking at this the wrong way.

I'd added a category structure so I could start getting some analysis of reported issues. In Profiles, Request I've created top level entities for "Incidents" and "Service Requests" which then have major categories (hardware, desktop apps, corporate apps etc) and sub-categories (workstation, Mobile Devices, etc) and finally what the user is having difficulty with. e.g. No output on monitor, won't turn on, poor performance etc.

My predecessor had created services of "Incident" and "service request" which seems pointless except that you can set the request category level for each request type thus only offering a subset of the categories during data entry. Is there a way to set the Service in BPM in a similar way to the category?

I'd been planning on using services for service requests but not for Incident Management as we feel that would be pre-judging the incident resolution.

Thanks

Doug

The Services include the management of all the different request types (incident, service request, problem, KE, change).  So, under a single service all of these request types can be used, managed and configured.  Under this single service you can configure the category starting level for both incidents and service requests separately.  If you use a service, this will allow you to continue to use your existing category structure for reporting.  The request types available for one particular service is down to you.  If the service that you are providing requires both incident and service requests, then it is completely valid to have these under the same service.

The Service cannot be set after a request has been raised and therefore there is no option in the BPM to set the service.  The Service is generally selected as part of the Progressive Capture script.  If you plan to use the Self Service portals, this service will also play a big part for your customers raising their own requests.

Here is a video that may give you some ideas of what you can do with the request catalog if you move to using this single service.

Regards,

James