Set / View priority against activities

PSG

Some of our support teams deal with mostly Activities (as apposed to Requests).

We've noticed that when you create an activity via BPM you can set a priority against it  (please see BPM_Priority - attached).

If / when a BPM created Activity is created you cannot see the Priority that was set against it.

Equally, when you raise an ad-hoc Activity (i.e. created manually from a Request rather than via BPM) you do not get an option to set a Priority.

Are there any plans to enable the following:

View priority against an Activity.

Set a priority against an Activity.

Thanks,

Jamie (PSG)

BPM_priority.PNG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We've noticed that you can now set a priority against a 'non-BPM' priority which is great.

Is there any way that we can update the priority names to reflect our Requests priorities? for example, we use P1 - P5 to assign Requests and would like to have our Activities with matching Priorities. 

Also, currently we cannot filter the Activity view on Priority - will this also be introduced?

Thanks,

Jamie

• 1 month later...

Hi @trevorharris

We've noticed that you can now set a priority against a 'non-BPM' priority which is great.

Is there any way that we can update the priority names to reflect our Requests priorities? for example, we use P1 - P5 to assign Requests and would like to have our Activities with matching Priorities. 

Also, currently we cannot filter the Activity view on Priority - will this also be introduced?

Thanks,

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @trevorharris,

Thanks,

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @trevorharris,

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi,

Sorry I missed your replies on this, the priorities that are available on the activities are a set list and unfortuantely it is not possible to edit them at the moment.
Regarding filtering by the priority, it is possible to create a board view and on the board define lists which you can set filters on, in this way you can create lists for different priorities.
Hope this help, and very sorry again for late reply.
Trevor

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 17.18.23.png

Guest Paul Davis

Occasionally we miss some forum posts and this would appear to be one of those times. Off the back of this discussion, I've just posted some clarification about how to guarantee a timely response to an unanswered forum post in a more visible location. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @PSG ,

I can confirm that development have addressed the missing Priority field in the list view of Activities and it will be delivered to live in a Collaboration Core Update next week.

The current list of priorities have been implemented to follow a specific internet standard, iCal RFC2445. The iCal standard was devised to provide inter-operable calendaring and scheduling services for applications communicating the Internet, ensuring compatibility between applications. Hornbill has adopted this schema to ensure that the scope for development in this area is not hindered by restricting it to a company-developed standard.

Thinking about this further, the current schema (highest, higher, high, above normal, normal, below normal, low, lower, lowest) provides us with sufficient capability to define how urgent an activity is in relation to any other. Whether we use Critical, Major, High, Medium,..... etc or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5..... all these naming conventions serve the same purpose (indicating the relative importance of activities) so I'd be curious to know what specific value you feel having P1 - P5 would give?

This leads me to believe that your actual challenge is potentially the disconnect between the priority of a request and the priority of an activity. For example, if you have a P1 Incident I guess the expectation could be that all activities associated to this incident should be the highest priority. While it is possible for us to set a priority on an activity in our BPM design, there is no automatic behaviour or logical rules that allow the BPM to make a decision on the priority of an activity based on factors existing at that moment in time.

On a final note, if it is still down to the naming convention, it is possible to adjust this through Hornbills translation capability. Each activity priority is governed by its own translation string that can be found in Home > Hornbill Collaboration > Translations.

highest = user.core.activities.highest
higher = user.core.activities.higher
high = user.core.activities.high
above normal = user.core.activities.abovenormal
...etc

It would be good to understand your specific motivation for matching priorities between activities and requests, i.e. if it is just about a more familiar naming convention or whether it has come about because of another underlying challenge.

Dan 

• 2 weeks later...