Customer Notification of Analyst Update

Keith

I am told that there is currently no way for the customer to receive an email or similar notification when a request is updated by the analyst in Service Manager. How then is the customer made aware that there has been a change to their request. Surely we can't expect the customer to continually log on to the portal to check for an update? I am aware that we can send an email instead.

If this truly does not exist today, why not, and how do other people feel about this? Is this something you need too?

I would love to hear how you deal with this in your current processes.

Regards

Keith

• Like 1

@keith

We have changed the way we work slightly and to be honest it works well.

We use the normal update for internal updates which the customer does not necessarily need to know and the email function if it is to update the customer. 

I agree though it would be nice to have an option to turn on globally for all updates to be sent to the user.

Especially if you came from Hornbill's Supportworks environment where "updating" the customer gave you the option of emailing (or not) and making the text public (or not). This seemed a better way of implementing this element of Service Manager - although maybe I'm biased to the "old" ways.

Even though we have told the analysts to use Email to ensure the customer is notified, they have "accidentally" used update so the customer wasn't aware of the info. Where the analysts consistently did this, I removed the update icon from that Service - so they would he forced to use the email one.

This is a bit heavy handy and I would have liked to have the update option containing the email function (via an on/off or tick box)

We come from Zendesk and have been very used to the 'Update = Email' principle. The having to switch to explicitly emailing someone instead of just posting an update took some getting used to but works alright now. 

We have not disabled the update option but only use it for internal comments. The minute the 'email notification on update' feature is implemented we will switch to using that, and only use the explicit email corresponding with third parties like the customer's MSPs etc.

We too were used to using Supportworks and having the ability to send an email based on an update.  However I feel people have got used to the fact that using 'update' does not send an email.  I'd have to ask the team what they wanted to do if the ability to send emails from updates was to become an option.