SQL Engine choice?

Lyonel

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a random / genuine question: why is Hornbill running on top of a mySQL database?

The reason of my question is simply because I have been using MS SQL Server for years now and I find it very very reliable, good performances, low maintenance and very good with high volumes of transactions & data. And MySQL never really hit me as being the best database engine out there.

Also, I keep reading on the forums about being able to schedule reports and export them to other formats than CSV or HTML. This is super easily achieved with SSRS.

I am loving the architecture and technology used for Hornbill. It is really great stuff you guys are doing. But the database side still eludes me a bit I must admit :)

Hi Lyonel,

Thats a great question, thank you for asking.  I would love to answer this question for you and in fact I think it would make a great topic for a blog article.  We are just in the final stages of deploying our own blogging platform so if its ok with you I will give you a detailed answer in the form of a blog post in the next few days, I will post an update here with a link.

I really appreciate the feedback, I am glad you are loving the architecture and technology we have developed.  We are super excited about what we have created too and how customers are adopting it so easily.  If you ever get a chance please expand on what you like (and dislike too), its always good to hear. 

Gerry

• Like 2

@Gerry Thank you for your honest and developed answer! Really appreciate your time and insights on this topic :) I would actually like to know more too about " This was an interesting project that gave us some great capabilities both in terms of stateless database I/O and real-time SQL activity monitoring and tracing. This is a whole other topic and can be the subject of another TechTalk blog post in the future - if this is of interest please leave a comment below and let me know. ".

What about reporting features on MariaDB? I know a lot about MS products, not so much about the rest I must admit.

PS: I tried to login to your website but I keep getting wrong password and then when I try to reset, I can another error message :(

Hi Lyonel,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry you could not log into the web site, not sure why that is, I will ask someone to take a look. I generally use one of the social media logins, saves me typing and is much faster.  I will expand on the SQL stuff for sure.

In terms of reporting, MariaDB/MySQL are in them selves not reporting tools, or more accurately they are not bundled with a reporting tool suite in the same way as SQL Server is, so that only really leaves third party tools like Crystal reports.  None the less we do not (yet) provide direct database access so for now you only really have the option of using our Reporting and Advanced Analytics tools built into the Admin tool. 

Gerry