Feature Request: - Prevent Resolution until Appropriate Stage

Keith

Current functionality allows analysts to use the resolve action at any point in the process irrespective of stages and check points. This means that potentially analysts can resolve before any assignment, categorisation etc. has taken place. 

This really doesn't make sense to me. Why should you be able to resolve an incident prior to completion of all required information. 

We would like the resolve action to NOT be actionable until specific stages or check points (defined in the business process) have been met.

Thanks!

Keith

Hi Keith,

Have a read of the post here:

You can remove the workflow buttons as I mentioned around halfway down the post which will stop your analysts skipping around the workflows.

You can also set task completion to be mandatory with the setting "webapp.view.ITSM.serviceDesk.requests.resolve.denyWithOpenActivities"  as mentioned by Bob in the post below mine.

Hope that helps

Dan

• Like 2

@Dan Munns Thanks for the tip, however that only works if there are open activities with the analyst which for my process is not the case. I appreciate I could probably add an activity to the end of the process flow but this seems counter intuitive. 

If I have a stage called resolution (as a third stage) it seems crazy that I can actually resolve the incident before reaching that stage.

To help with things a little we have enabled an option to force a closure category to at least be set before resolving. 

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your post.  You may have seen that within a Service's configuration you are able to hide or show particular action items such as the resolution action item.  We have discussed in the past about providing a way that these action items could be hidden or displayed depending on where you are within a BPM workflow.  Is this the kind of thing that would help you?

Regards,

James

Hi @Keith and @James Ainsworth

I created this post a little while back:

With regards to @James Ainsworth's response, my idea from the post above was to add the ability to disable actions with any of the Task Nodes, but having an entirely individual node just for this purpose works just as well.

This would be a benefit so that once you get to a part of the stage where you will allow users to be able to resolve the call you can simply enable the Resolve Call button so it will be visible to the analyst.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Keith,

In the mean time you can still hide the resolution action button from the analysts (as mentioned in the post I linked earlier) that way the only way they can close the call is to complete the entire workflow.

I do agree that I way to hide it/show it at set times during the BPM is better though. 

On 13-10-2016 at 5:37 PM, Keith said:

To help with things a little we have enabled an option to force a closure category to at least be set before resolving. 

Hi Keith,

That's great! How long ago has this been added? I must've missed it in the patch notes.

Thanks,
Alex

1 hour ago, Dan Munns said:

Hi Keith,

In the mean time you can still hide the resolution action button from the analysts (as mentioned in the post I linked earlier) that way the only way they can close the call is to complete the entire workflow.

I do agree that I way to hide it/show it at set times during the BPM is better though. 

Hi, @Dan Munns

I'm new to this so may be being a bit dumb. How would analysts resolve the issue if the button is hidden?

Regards

Keith

1 hour ago, Alex8000 said:

Hi Keith,

That's great! How long ago has this been added? I must've missed it in the patch notes.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi @Alex8000, no idea when this came in but you can set it via servicemanager.request.closureCategory.default.required

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

You would be able to do this through the BPM entirely. This way a request would only be closed whenever all tasks have been completed and all other required steps were done and this is verified by the BPM.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Keith,

Alex is correct. I have added a 'suspend - wait for resolution' node in our BPMs which, when all previous steps are complete, moves to show the resolution text box and presents the analysts with the option to resolve the call. The call is then closed 2 days later, provided that the end user is happy and the fault is in fact fully resolved (by use of another node).

I have attached a simple demo BPM example

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 1