More Bulletin options (and a request for a ticker)

samwoo

What do you think of my ideas?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like my ideas for the Bulletins?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What do you think of having a Ticker that will run along the top of the Bulletin?

• Good idea
    • Not sure
    • Not a good idea
    • Not a good idea for my organisation but happy to have a button to turn it off

Hello,

We were wondering if we could have more options for the Bulletins as we are needing to use it but it's not working the way we require it to

1. Have a button to allow a Bulletin created within a Service to be visible on the main page of the Service Portal or not (as having too many bulletins, many will get lost to users)
  2. An option to add a bulletin that is not related to a Service
  3. Change the colour of the text within the Bulletin editor (with a preview of what it will look like on top of the background you uploaded)
    1. As a test on a Service I had a picture of a Cloud and couldnt see the font clearly
    2. For another Service with a different IT related image, the font was clear.
  4. Is it possible to change the interval speed to slightly speed up the transition between one bulletin and another, most people will have already started logging a call by the time the second or third bulletin comes into view and will likely miss it if the Bulletin is not related to the Service they are using.

Unrelated to Bulletins
We were wondering if we could have a Ticker than can run along the top of the Bulletin for information that doesn't really need to be in the Bulletin (such as - are you having issues with Outlook? Please try plugging in a network cable and restarting your laptop before logging a call - Please remember if you are locked out of #Application#, you will automatically be unlocked in 20 minutes. - Please remember not to respond to the email you receive in response to your call. Use the link in the call to respond via the Service Portal directly). I would expect this to be toggleable as I would understand that some users would not want this.

Thanks,

Samuel

• Like 1

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for your post.  We will have a look at each of the suggestions and keep an eye on the voting provided by other customers.  The Portals are continually expanding in features and functionality and I can see that some additional setting such as specifying the timing of the bulletins or more control over text colour would be useful.

I would be interested to get an example for the other types of non-service related bulletins that you mention.  As the portals have the potential to include options and features from other Hornbill apps it is always of interest to understand other ways that our customers would like to interact with their customers.

Regards,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @James Ainsworth and all,

Bulletin that does not relate to a Service
An example:
ExampleBulletin.png

This is a replacement for the Main Portal text... but as you can see this does not relate to a Service but the Portal as a whole. There could be various other use for it. I just didn't want to have to use the Main Portal text for this, but had no choice as it will be the first thing a user will see when opening to Portal.

If there were an option to include Bulletins that does not related to a Service, then the option to change the ordering of the Bulletin (such as to be able to show the bulletin first before the main portal text) would be great

Bulletins query
I've had to replace the main Portal text with the above as it will be the first thing that users will see. However it would be good to improve it so that users still see the main Portal Text (which I've changed to the above for now) as well as a way to show a bit of text to indicate what the next Bulletin will be (maybe at the bottom right).

I've been to quite a few customers who didn't even know that the bulletins changes... they've read it then scroll down pretty quickly before it has changed to the next one. They were actually surprised when I showed them. They asked if there could be more of a visual indicator aside from the arrows and circle at the bottom I said I'll just have to ask :) 

Bulletin Formatting issue
If I add a Bulletin to a Service that main portal text changes (this issue also affects additional bulletins added).

1. It's colour is changed to white
  2. It doesn't fit in the Bulletin properly
  3. If I resize the window the majority of the text is unreadable. Not good for people with lower resolution or larger font size

As you can see from the example below... compared to the bulletin above the window was resized slightly smaller (size is indicated by comparing the two images on this post) and it looks like this:

BulletinIssue.png

Hiding the bulletin text and transparent overlay
Where we've been having issues with the Bulletin above, I've experimented by creating one in GIMP then I uploaded the image. When I went to apply it to a service it stated that the name and description is mandatory... So I added " - " to both fields. It looks like this:
CloudBulletinTest.png

Whilst I think it looks really nice (and it scales well as the image remains centred to the div) it would be nice to not have the transparent overlay and the Name and Description of the Bulletin visible. Just to note that adding this bulletin affected the text and text colour of the other bulletins / main portal text the same as it did in the second image above.

Sorry for so much text in a single post - hope I makes sense.

Thanks,

Samuel

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Just wondering if any development in this area has been discussed with regards to my ideas and the poll results?

We have a couple of Bulletins and both with text far too large to view, like you see in the bottom of my second post. We are on IE11 - would this be the reason for the text being blown up unnecessarily? If we only have 1 bulletin though, it looks normal.

Thanks,

Samuel

• 1 month later...
Guest Mohamed

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in our response. We have raised this issue with our development team who are aiming to investigate the issues mentioned and aim to resolve it soon

Mohamed

• 4 months later...

@Mohamedand @samwoo I would just like to add that we are also really interested in these developments too. Being able to remove the drop shadow, and have more control over the text etc... would be great. 

Also, it would be really handy to be able to remove the gradient that is automatically overlayed too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Bringing up an old topic. Has anyone looked at the requests on here?

Also I have a problem with the Bulletins again...

In Google Chrome, my bulletins looks like this:
5956703835767_GoogleChrome.thumb.png.2952282a8ec75c462d22f073f5521651.png

The same bulletin in Internet Explorer 11 looks like this:
5956703e003fb_InternetExplorer.thumb.png.3a2ac08e2351e10717a75d1467395f6f.png

Can someone look into this? We all use Internet Explorer 11 and we have major works happening this weekend for Monday and was not expecting the Bulletins to look like this :(. At least the main issue is highlighted, and includes a URL for the user to click on.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

The requirement for a Bulletin that is not directly associated with a service and some of the other points that you suggested in the original post are still in our backlog and not currently scheduled for development, however they will be continually reviewed.

There were also a number of formatting issues that were mentioned.  These were raised as defects and they are still in the development defect queue.  I've fed back the latest issue that you mentioned about Explorer 11.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mohamed

Hi all, 

With regards to the issues that were raised the following issues have been addressed and should be available in the next build > 1012

The text colour not adhering to the app setting colour changes (changing from desired colour to white)
Bulletin text not fitting the bulletin properly
Better management when re-sized

In addition to which we have added two new options to help with the configuration of the bulletins: 

• Toggle Service Bulletins Text
    • If you only desire a background image (which has text as part of the image) you can now hide the bulletins text on the Portals (Please note, the title field is still mandatory, however the text will not be shown)
  • Toggle Service Bulletins Text Shadow
    • You can toggle each Bulletin's text shadow if you decide that you don't wish for it to be displayed with the text

Please refer to our wiki for the new updated documentation: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Bulletins 

Other features will be addressed as per when they arrive in the development queue
Your feedback is much appreciated and hope these fixes address the issues raised

Regards

Mohamed

On 17/10/2016 at 3:10 PM, samwoo said:

Hello @James Ainsworth and all,

Bulletin that does not relate to a Service
An example:
ExampleBulletin.png

This is a replacement for the Main Portal text... but as you can see this does not relate to a Service but the Portal as a whole. There could be various other use for it. I just didn't want to have to use the Main Portal text for this, but had no choice as it will be the first thing a user will see when opening to Portal.

If there were an option to include Bulletins that does not related to a Service, then the option to change the ordering of the Bulletin (such as to be able to show the bulletin first before the main portal text) would be great

Bulletins query
I've had to replace the main Portal text with the above as it will be the first thing that users will see. However it would be good to improve it so that users still see the main Portal Text (which I've changed to the above for now) as well as a way to show a bit of text to indicate what the next Bulletin will be (maybe at the bottom right).

I've been to quite a few customers who didn't even know that the bulletins changes... they've read it then scroll down pretty quickly before it has changed to the next one. They were actually surprised when I showed them. They asked if there could be more of a visual indicator aside from the arrows and circle at the bottom I said I'll just have to ask :) 

Bulletin Formatting issue
If I add a Bulletin to a Service that main portal text changes (this issue also affects additional bulletins added).

1. It's colour is changed to white
  2. It doesn't fit in the Bulletin properly
  3. If I resize the window the majority of the text is unreadable. Not good for people with lower resolution or larger font size

As you can see from the example below... compared to the bulletin above the window was resized slightly smaller (size is indicated by comparing the two images on this post) and it looks like this:

BulletinIssue.png

Hiding the bulletin text and transparent overlay
Where we've been having issues with the Bulletin above, I've experimented by creating one in GIMP then I uploaded the image. When I went to apply it to a service it stated that the name and description is mandatory... So I added " - " to both fields. It looks like this:
CloudBulletinTest.png

Whilst I think it looks really nice (and it scales well as the image remains centred to the div) it would be nice to not have the transparent overlay and the Name and Description of the Bulletin visible. Just to note that adding this bulletin affected the text and text colour of the other bulletins / main portal text the same as it did in the second image above.

Sorry for so much text in a single post - hope I makes sense.

Thanks,

Samuel