attachments not appearing at all

Gary@ADL

Guys - I know ths has been touched on before, but can anyone explain why my attachments aren't appearing in a call at all? the attachment has come in via an email reply, and so has been added to the ticket automatically. but the update gives no indication that theirs an attachment there, even clicking show more (thus showing me the full contents of the update) doesn't indicate theirs an attachment. I have to actually open the email to view it (but why would I normally do this when the show more button should show me the full content of the emails)

Fortunately the user has indicated he has attached something so I was able to spot this one...

as you can see in my screenshot, I have no 'attachments' tab, but there is an attachment in the highlighted email...

thanks

Capture.JPG

Hi Gary,

In earlier versions of service manager, any time an autoresponder operation added an update to a request, it would add its update and then attach every attachment from the email to the request itself. The attachments section would then be shown and you would have access to all attachments.

What we started to see were complaints about the number of attachments that were being added to a request, especially if an email contained lots of images in its signature for example (in one case a customer reported over 50 attachments being added off the back of a simple email with a heavy signature). One train of thought that was proposed on this was to only attach a certain number of the email attachments such as 5 for example. The problem with this being that we couldn't identity which number, say 5 of x attachments we should be attaching. Do you go for the 5 that have the biggest size? etc. It was therefore decided that no attachments should be added directly to the request with the knowledge that the attachments would be available to be viewed and downloaded if the user viewed the whole email, which is possible from the 'More Actions' menu, on the bottom right.

What is missing here imo is an indication on the post that there are in fact attachments to the email that has been posted as an update in the request timeline. I completely agree with you and see your point here in that you were able to identify this email contained an attachment by the content from within the mail. Of course, there will be situations where the content will give no indication that there are attachments.

I will raise the subject internally for discussion around adding a visual indicator, such as an icon to such an update in the request timeline to indicate that there are attachments with the email update.

Alex

• 1 month later...

guys - have we got anywhere with this? a visual indicator of 'some attachments' would be great, at least the user would then know to check the update for attachments, rather than assuming there are none, or having to opem every potential call update

cheers

Gary

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @m.vandun

Thanks for your post.  I just wanted to check if you feel that a visual indicator in the Timeline entry for the email would help in your scenario?  The only thing that may occur is that if all your users have images in their signatures, all your emails will show that there are attachments.

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth,

A visual indicator would be a great improvement. In the email view itself you do have the notification that there is an attachment in the mail. There is no option to show this in the timeline when this is in the email? This would avoid the notification of signature images showing up as attachments.

2017-01-19 09_16_59-(3) brievenbussen - Hornbill.png

Regards,

Mark

• 7 months later...