Tasks stuck

m.vandun

Hi,

We have a request where the tasks created by the BPM have expired. The task owner is unable to complete these tasks (clicking the complete button does nothing). Also via the admin account we're unable to resolve these tasks. I've tried to remove the tasks via the admin account but get the error that task cannot be removed. As far as I know the ticket was resolved and then reopened before resolving the tasks.

Any idea why this is and how to remove the assigned tasks?

Kind regards,

Mark

2016-09-15_1348.png

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Paul Alexander

I realise this is a VERY old post....but I've just come across some expired tasks and would like to get rid of them....how can I do that please? @Victor

Thanks

• 8 months later...

Also having this issue here...

My expired activity here will not delete and prompts an error that advises I should complete instead.

When trying to complete I get: "The task has already expired!" (attached) - It's a lose-lose!

Does anyone know what I might be able to do? @Victor, can you still help?

(apologies for re-resurrecting this post)

Hornbill expired activity errors.JPG

• 1 year later...

@Kevin Kennedy I'm still not sure what issue we are working on here :) What is the problem ... This is a quite old thread (which should have been locked actually as is no longer relevant with current builds), any potential issues here would have been fixed a long time ago...  

You say "get rid of expired tasks"... in what way? Why are we getting rid of them?

@Victor  @lcottell

I think I figured mine out.  I was unaware of the Hornbill Task Cancellation Tool on Github.  I was able to cancel some, although others errored out.  It appears that if the request was closed, the Task can be cancelled, if the request is cancelled, the Task ID errors out as already cancelled.  I think at this point my problem is solved.

@Victor In our case, we are still learning, and the true enemy may be our lack of understanding of the application, and proper methods to use it.  These are tasks that are still incomplete (usually expired) attached to long closed tickets.  Our Analysts have just recently begun paying close attention to their notifications, and see the notifications for tickets closed several months back.  I suppose as an alternative I could have reopened each ticket, opened the executed/executing BPM for that request, change it to force the BPM to continue (although I have had mixed success doing this), and then reclosing the request once the task has been completed/cancelled.  However, in my case the writing a report to identify incomplete tasks attached to closed tickets, and feeding the output of that to the HB Task Cancelling Utility seems likely to solve the majority of my problems. 

@Kevin Kennedy umm... ok, so an expired task is a perfectly valid task, is just...well... expired :) ... I don't think they should be removed/status change in any way... Now, you say notifications, is that activities or actual notifications? If is activities and activities list perhaps you can create custom filters to filter out expired tasks so they don't appear in the user activities list...

@Victor 

Your wisdom is above question, sir.  Maybe I am not describing it properly, or we were attacking the wrong problem.  Notifications exist for activities, the activities having previously expired, or remained undone and the request is closed.  Technicians want to see the current list of pertinent notifications, not be reminded of what they failed to do 3 months ago, that in most cases is no longer relevant.  I guess I was unaware that the activities list could be filtered?  The underlying question is "How do we make the technicians list only show notifications for activities within active requests?".  The irony is that the technicians see this as a "bug" within Hornbill, when it really is a failure on the Technicians part. (or my part if it was a subject they were inadequately trained on).    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kevin Kennedy said:

Notifications exist for activities, the activities having previously expired, or remained undone and the request is closed.  Technicians want to see the current list of pertinent notifications, not be reminded of what they failed to do 3 months ago, that in most cases is no longer relevant.

@Kevin Kennedy right, ok then. You say "notifications"... are we taking here about the notifications displayed in the notification list, like here?

image.png

Or perhaps your technicians use the activities list, like this one?

image.png

If the latter then yes, we can use filters to only display relevant activities for them if the former... well... a bit problematic there, might need a bit more thinking...