Default server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
> service.hornbill.com
Server:		8.8.8.8
Address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find service.hornbill.com: No answer

Hi swcbc,

We switched our DNS provider last night over to cloudflare and it appears this record was missed. I have added the record and it now appears in googles dns.

C:\Users\jeffrey>nslookup
Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

> service.hornbill.com
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Name:    service.hornbill.com
Address:  78.129.173.117

Looks like I'm going to spend the morning making sure we have proper monitoring of all our service endpoints.

Thanks for pointing this out so we could fix it.

That might explain why it is being quite intermittent for me today

The Live and Admin sites are fine but the Service one has been working for some people but not others

I tried some machines this morning and they could access but I've just tried them again and the page wasn't being found

All,

Following on from the above posts and as clarification.  We monitor all service endpoints but have been monitoring them via their IP addresses and not using their FQDN (domain name), we also monitor our DNS service provider and to now that has worked ok. We made a decision to transition over to CloudFlare to take advantage of their superior service as well as future global caching to help accelerate our application content, this was executed last night. Unfortunately we misconfigured the DNS entry for service.hornbill.com but our monitoring continued to show the service as available because we were monitoring the service via its IP address and not its FQDN. We have now reviewed our monitoring setup and re-configured to use the domain name rather than IP address for all services to ensure this gap in our monitoring does not happen in the future. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Keith Stevenson

• Like 1

On a related and frustrating note, this caused us to have to reconfigure firewall rules and whilst doing so discovered that live.hornbill.com has changed it's IP, no biggie as we can use a DNS for that, but the sender of email messages doesn't fit within that DNS quite right.

If I do a DNS lookup for live.hornbill.com it returns a single IP address.

Name:	live.hornbill.com
Address: 78.129.173.117

When I look for mail coming into our mail server it doesn't come from live.hornbill.com it comes from 87.117.243.10

Doing a reverse lookup on this

10.243.117.87.in-addr.arpa	name = live.hornbill.com.

Which is a bit messy in the firewall config as we have two entries for live.hornbill.com that are different.

I think I understand why it's like that, to satisfy email RDNS, but it spannered me a bit yesterday as changing them to suit these DNS changes caused me to break email for a bit. At least until I figured this out.

Is anyone still having problems with service.hornbill.com?

Some of our machines can access it fine but others come up with 'This page can't be displayed'

I can ping 78.129.173.117 and do tracert but I can't if I use service.hornbill.com

We can access live.hornbill.com and admin.hornbill.com from the machines that can't access service.hornbill.com though

Everton1878

Sorry to hear that your having trouble. There should be no issue  as the DNS record for the above was fully propagated last week and the TTL on any old record should have passed easily by now.   Can you do a NSLOOKLUP for service.hornbill.com from the CMD prompt on an effected machine and post the results as this will show us what DNS server your using, the records TTL etc. If you can also confirm this happens in all browsers that would help (Chrome does its own caching of DNS)

Kind regards