API interface ASP.NET for v3.5

Hi,

To interface Hornbill with some of our in house systems, I need to setup something up. I was hoping to add a new web method to one of our web service. It is coded in ASP VB.NET and uses the framework v3.5.

Going through your sample code (on Github), I managed to get a working query. However, your espapi_dotnet dll is coded for .NET v4 :(

Any chance you would have a version for .NET v3.5?

Thanks

Hi Lyonel,

Unfortunately .NET 3.5 is almost 10 years old now and we have learned in the past how easy it is to get stuck and penned into a corned trying to support stuff that the originating vendor themselves no longer support, for that reason we tend to try and stay ahead with everything wherever possible which is a reflection on our Continuous Delivery strategy.

Now to be fair, making an API call to our stack is no more complicated than composing an XML message and POST over https to our API endpoint with an API key, receiving an XML message and decoding that, so even though our abstracted library does not support .NET 3.5 its a relatively trivial matter to implement a wrapper in any language/platform, let alone .NET 3.5 and implement something that is entirely workable. 

Gerry

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Gerry

Just saw your post today (sorry for the late response). I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, because of the legacy of our systems, migrating to the latest version of .NET is not straight forward... So it is not going to happen anytime soon. 

What you described is actually what I did :) . It is just not as user friendly as your DLL that's all. I thought it was worth asking. "You don't get if you don't ask", right?

Thanks anyway

Hy Lyonel,

You are welcome. I did ask one of our senior developers if we could put the source code for this DLL into our Open Integration GitHub repo so you could maybe pull it and try to build on .NET 3.5. Problem is he was a little reluctant as the code inside is a bit messy and "Pride Hornbill" is kicking in.  If we can get it cleaned up and respectable we will release the code under the Hornbill Community License and make it available in our community GitHub repo - would that help?

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

@Gerry, thanks for that! I actually did not see your post but found the source on Github. That made me sooooo happy :)

I know using .NET 3.5 is not a good option going forward, but with a huge (!) legacy of homemade applications to support, the migration will take a long time. Until then, I am stuck with this.

I got the source and compiled it without any problems on 3.5 and it works perfectly :) 

Thank you very much for asking your guys to do that, it is very nice of you. I did not pay too much attention at the quality of the code, but what I saw was actually very good looking :P

Hi Lyonel,

You are welcome, I am glad you found it useful and I am glad it compiled too :) I hope the quality of the code is acceptable, we do not really use .NET internally at all, we only have one (I guess now legacy) tool we developed in .NET which we are only maintaining. Its good to release these sorts of things under the HCL because it gives our customers the freedom to adapt and use as they need, this is a good working example of that in action. 

For anyone else reading this thread, the library and source code can be found here: -

https://github.com/hornbill/dotNetApiLib

Gerry

• Like 1