Generate Graphical Form from Questions

Michael Sharp

Is it possible to generate a form (or report that appears like a form) based on request questions?  We would like the ability to print change requests in an easily readable format.  The current format removes all spacing and breaks which makes a lengthy change request extremely difficult to review.

Mike.

Hi Michael,

Can I ask how you are printing your requests?  The print option on the request action bar produces a printout similar to the one in the screenshot.  You can also select which information that you would like to include in your printout.  A video can also be seen here.  Is this the same printout that you are referring to?

PrintedRequest.PNG

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply and I've seen the video.  Issue being however we structure a change request with a question that is an implementation plan.  This could have multiple paragraphs, bullet points, indents etc.  All of this is removed when submitted.  I've tried an email template which did the same unfortunately.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Michael,

The implementation of the questions in Progressive Capture has been focused on the quick capture of information to initiate a request being raised.  I'm assuming that you are using the multi-line text box in the custom questions to capture an implementation plan.  This field was really only created to allow a for a multi-line response to a question and is sounds more like you are in need of providing something more aligned to a document with formatting for the implementation plan.

It is possible to include the adding of an attachment as part of progressive capture, but you will find that the attachments would be included in the printout.

Have you considered adding information about the implementation plan after the change has been raised?  What I commonly see is the progressive capture being used to gather information for a change proposal, then once raised the process workflow takes over to manage the acceptance, planning, testing, and release of the change.  We use a proposal stage within our own workflow where we review and accept/reject change proposals that have been submitted.  If accepted it moves to the next stage where a number of tasks are allocated for things like implementation plans and reviews before moving to the actual implementation of the change.  We record our implementation plans within the description of the change where one can use wiki markup for headings, bullets, and other formatting.  This formatting is printable using the request print option.  As the updates to the description are added to the timeline, so you can also collaborate on the implementation plan within the timeline and even see the changes made from the previous version of the description.  Using the BPM for initiating the adding of an implementation plan also allows for more flexibility such as using logic where an emergency change is required it may bypass the standard implementation plan and go down another route.

Regards,

James

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:40 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Michael,

The implementation of the questions in Progressive Capture has been focused on the quick capture of information to initiate a request being raised.  I'm assuming that you are using the multi-line text box in the custom questions to capture an implementation plan.  This field was really only created to allow a for a multi-line response to a question and is sounds more like you are in need of providing something more aligned to a document with formatting for the implementation plan.

It is possible to include the adding of an attachment as part of progressive capture, but you will find that the attachments would be included in the printout.

Have you considered adding information about the implementation plan after the change has been raised?  What I commonly see is the progressive capture being used to gather information for a change proposal, then once raised the process workflow takes over to manage the acceptance, planning, testing, and release of the change.  We use a proposal stage within our own workflow where we review and accept/reject change proposals that have been submitted.  If accepted it moves to the next stage where a number of tasks are allocated for things like implementation plans and reviews before moving to the actual implementation of the change.  We record our implementation plans within the description of the change where one can use wiki markup for headings, bullets, and other formatting.  This formatting is printable using the request print option.  As the updates to the description are added to the timeline, so you can also collaborate on the implementation plan within the timeline and even see the changes made from the previous version of the description.  Using the BPM for initiating the adding of an implementation plan also allows for more flexibility such as using logic where an emergency change is required it may bypass the standard implementation plan and go down another route.

Regards,

James

Hi James,

Another thought I've had, is there a way to configure this so the actual question is in bold and the answer in plain text and the "question" and "answer" are not visible and separated by carriage returns?  This would be aesthetically better in my opinion.

For example displays as:

Which Files are you trying to access?
I need the recording from the Glover case from Mondays meeting

Which Colleague?
Sue Lang

Regards,

Mike.