Asset Owners / Used By

gwynne

Gareth

I believe at the moment the Asset element of Service Manager is only aimed at internal assets, so does not have the capability to link to an external contact/organisation. I think this is something Hornbill are looking at but has not yet been developed.

In order to get around this we have chosen to use service subscriptions at the moment to allocate what we support on a customer basis, but this does not allow you to establish a CMDB of assets for external contacts/organisations.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Gareth,

I would be interested to know the types of assets that you are supporting for your external contacts and the level of information that you would like to store against them? There are some considerations for providing something to manage "products" rather than "assets" for external contacts. 

Martyn is correct that the assets have an internal focus and you can assign only internal users.

Regards,

James

Hi James,

We have some hosted solutions from a 3rd party even though we use them technically they are owned by the 3rd party we just pay for usage. Plus from a support point of view if these assets are down it would be good from a service desk point of view to know at a glance who owns this and who to contact for service resolution

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

In this scenario do you think it would me more fitting to provide some way of recording suppliers and/or supplier services?  At the moment our Services have a focus on business services and eventually will allow for technical services to underpin these.  These technical services could include those provided by 3rd Party Suppliers.

We have designed the assets to be internal and these can contain a great amount of detail to record costs, depreciation, location, along with import and integration options.  Much of this may not be needed or applicable when working with 3rd Party Suppliers. 

Do you have any 3rd Party Supplier services such as printing where they may supply hardware that is located on your site or is it all hosted?  I would also be interested to know the minimum information that you need to record such as 

• Name and contact information of Supplier
  • Status of Service/Hardware

Many thanks,

James