Roles - Assigning permissions to Teams

Martyn Houghton

Are there any plans to extend the Roles to allow them to be assigned at the Team level as well as the User level? 

When dealing with a large number of user and teams, it would make it much easier to allocate the bulk of the permissions at a team level and then deal with the exceptions/specific permissions at the user level.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Oddly it used to work like that but it was confusing and complicated, you could assign roles to teams and team to roles.  Its not something we are likely to change back now. Generally you should assign permissions through roles and assign roles to teams.  If you need variations of permissions, then you currently need variations of roles. 

Gerry

Gerry

At the moment you can only assign a role to an user and can appreciate the complexity introduced by inheritance from teams etc, but this does make user management more involved as you have to manually add each user.

Perhaps a work around would be to add a function to allow you to bulk add team members, i.e. you select a team and all the current users within the team have the role assigned. It is not storing the assignment to the team, purely using the team as a automated selection of users to pass into to assigned user list.

It would of course need to be able to deal with duplicates, i.e. where the user is already assigned the role.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

We have similar conversations internally so there is definitely something to do here, not exactly sure what though.  Our application-shipped roles seem to be more granular than they ought to be which does not help matters either. Doing a bulk update as you suggest is probably easy to achieve but its a tad untidy, it should be better than that. 

You are correct you cannot assign roles to groups - you used to be able to, but that was changed because people felt it was more advantageous to add users as members of groups through role assignment - now it would seem people want it the other way around too - and both would be cyclic and unmanageable which is why you cannot add roles to groups. 

I have been part of various conversations relating to this and from my viewpoint it looks like we are using roles as "rights" and now need "roles" to group "rights" together, the implementation error here is probably allowing applications to define OOB roles - application rights probably should be a lot less granular and implemented more as roles notionally speaking at least

I can only say the conversations at the moment are ongoing so I am sure we will come up with something, but whatever we do come up with it cannot break anything thats already out there so that means adding another mechanism on top of what is already present - that makes it more difficult to address. 

Gerry

• 2 months later...

Hello,

We are currently going through the process of implementing Hornbill Service Manager and have asked the same question. To go through and manually add individual roles to each individual user is far from ideal. To be able to assign a group of roles to a user, or a role to a team would certainly assist in administering user access on the system.

Has there been any further discussions on this topic please?

Thank you,

Melissa

• 3 months later...

Hello Melissa,

We have not really progressed with this I am afraid. We recognise its an issue but we don't really have a solution to the problem at this point. This only ever comes up once as each customer is setting up their users.  For many we tackle this on "import" so on-going is generally insignificant.  I will keep it on the agenda but if I am honest by the time we get to do anything about this I expect your implementation phase will be done and it will no longer be a top-of-agenda item.

If we do make any progress I will be sure to post back here. 
Gerry

• 2 years later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Hi

I realise that this is a very old thread, but I was wondering if any more thought had been given to assigning Roles to Teams? I've been asked to set up an assignment role to include two separate teams, which I've done by adding the individual users of each team to the Role.

Problem is, one of the teams has a high turnover of staff so I'm conscious that this may cause problems in the future.....so being able to assign a Team to a Role would be advantageous in this particular instance.

thanks

Paul