Schedule Calls to log automatically?

ljbrown

A further update on this one. I can confirm that the required server functionality has now been implemented and verified working, which means its now ready for the Core UI team to implement for tasks.  The implementation of the UI should take 1-2 weeks max, at which point it will be available as an experimental feature that you can turn on an try out. 

It is worth noting that the implementation is generic inasmuch as what happens under the hood is a templated API call, which means other applications (such as Service Manager) could use the service and implement scheduled calls as originally requested in the future. 

Gerry

@Gerry To just check is this saying that shortly we should have the feature to set scheduled calls to automatically generate on a timescaled basis, like in the old supportworks system.

I.e, the first day of each month?

P.s updating posts at 01:22 wow that is commitment!

@cchalmers

Yes but... the initial implementation you will see is Scheduled Tasks (not calls), tasks as in human tasks, and yes it will work just like in Supportworks, you can schedule tasks to be created around a bunch of calendar options, daily, weekly, monthly ext...  The underlying implementation can pretty much schedule anything so I am sure the Service Manager application team will also give consideration to scheduling the logging of requests if there is a requirement for that.

Hope that helps

P.s updating posts at 01:22 wow that is commitment!

I know, we make our solution so cheap I have to work extra hours to pay the bills lol

Gerry

• 2 months later...

@ljbrown @Tina.Lapere @DeadMeatGF @Kelvin @Ralf Peters @Michael Sharp @Dan Munns @chrisnutt @cchalmers

An update on the ability to schedule Activities. 

You now have the option to try out Scheduled Jobs, in the admin console under Home > System > Settings > Advanced, you can enable:

experimental.feature.scheduledJobsUI

This will allow you to try the new experimental feature. 

Once you have enabled this setting, users will see a new Schedule option available to them when creating activities 

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 14.34.04.png

Selecting this option will allow you to specify the when you want the activity to reoccur :

* Once only, Daily,  Monthly etc

* When it should start (date / time)

* Only on Certain days

* For a defined period of time, or to reoccur indefinitely

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 14.33.50.png

Once the Activity has been scheduled, you will be able to manage your scheduled jobs from a new menu option under Home > Scheduled Jobs

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 14.34.37.png

From here you can remove, edit, pause, resume scheduled Jobs

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 14.34.51.png 

Scheduled Jobs offers the ability to manage scheduled activities (not requests).

This has been released as a Beta feature and we welcome your feedback. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dan Munns

You can only see scheduled jobs that you create. We will be adding an area in the admin tool where you will be able to see all scheduled jobs at some point. The job scheduler is generic which means anything that needs to schedule stuff (future reports etc) will also make use of these capability.  

Gerry

Hi @Gerry

Thanks for the reply. Can I also ask on the back of this that you look at the feasibility of sectioning the admin console / services section of Service Manager based on a role. 

With the addition of multiple departments on to our instance I am planning on training up and having a number of department level 'super users' or basic admins responsible for looking after their own BPMs, PCs etc. nothing that will cause instance wide carnage but just allow them to maintain their own areas. 

I did mention somewhere a few months back about limiting viability of  BPMs etc via category / role or similar but don't think it went anywhere.

Obviously I don't want to provide BPM editor access to a member of facilities who then accidently makes a change or deletes a live BPM of another team. Or have people start adding / deleting random questions on random forms with PC Manager.

Also (and explaining partly why the sectioning came up), finally back to the scheduler (good job from what I have seen by the way) could it be possible if given a role of say 'Scheduled Task Manager' you got a view drop down (similar to the view drop down in Service Manager) that showed scheduled tasks per team (if people have TL access of higher and also have the 'Scheduled Task Manager' role). I just have concerns that if the admins can see all scheduled tasks then they will be able to see personal ones as well (as no doubt people wont label them as such) so it may be better to have a 'see all tasks that....' rather than a 'see all tasks unless....' view.

I am sure that you and your guys already have some great ideas in regards to all of the above but just thought I would chuck my cap in.

Thanks 

Dan

EDIT: And whilst I am here.....

I have been asked by the Service Desk guys if adding the tasks to the request type selector would be possible as some point so they can flick between incidents/service requests/changes and tasks from the request list view rather than clicking round the My Activities options.

Thanks again

Hi @Dan Munns

I was just having a look at one part of this re the BPM's visibility, and have you looked at the following system setting?

Home > System > Settings > Advanced

security.bpm_access_controls.enabled

With this enabled you get the following Access control on the Business Processes, and the Process Owner will see the option to share the processes with Users, Groups, Roles

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 15.18.50.png

I can grant access to those i want to have access to work on this process.

If i am logged in as a user who owns lots of processes i see the below.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 15.18.31.png

However if i assign the Business Process Manager role to a user, and share a couple of processes with them they only see these processes when they are logged in:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 15.20.07.png

So this would i hope work in terms of not allowing super users viewing and having the option to edit / delete processes which are not relevant to them?

The same is true for Progressive Capture and those with the Progressive Capture Manager role. Below my user has only had one PC shared with them and this is all they see when looking at the Progressive Capture List.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 15.32.10.png

Hope that helps

Hi @Dan Munns i think we are pretty much there with the services.

Each service's Access can be set to Private (default is open)

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 17.41.21.png

For those services set to Private, Only the owner of each service will have the right to modify the service details and configuration. Members of a team that supports the service that also has the Services Manager role will only be able to add and update FAQs, Bulletins, and the Operational Status. Only the owner can add or remove Supporting Teams and only the owner can add or remove subscriptions

What this means in practise, is if you give a user the Service Manager Role and allow them to create their own services, as long as they mark them as Private then other users who may also have the same role would not see, or have rights to make changes to someone else's services.

So in the example above i have marked the Home working Service as Private, and as the owner (graham clarke) i can see this service in my service list, and those members of the supporting teams (1st Line etc) who have the Service Manager Role will also see them but will have more limited rights.

However if i log in as Sue who works in our Peoples Services team, and has the Service Manager role, she can create and manager her services, but will not see the Home Working Service which is owned by Graham Clarke in IT.

In the example below, Sue can't see or access the Home Working service.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 17.45.27.png

A little more info on the wiki here, under Access - https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Details

Hopefully that is another feature which helps?

Would also be good to used MS Outlook's reoccurring model as this defines the exact times/days when schedules should be set.  We have to make presumptions on your model.  

Also, I don't quite understand the relevance of start/due dates if you are using a schedule?  Should these be greyed out?

Regards,

Mike.

My understanding of start /due   dates   are that they refer  to in relevance to the scheduled   date , it's days hours minutes after the scheduled date , i put my start date to 0 and my due to 1 hour  , so when the task is created the  assigned user knows by when he has to complete it  .....

i might be wrong ...

Hi @Michael Sharp,

We've disabled the attachments because the task is not yet created. What you define in the scheduler will be created in the future, therefore the file will not exist.

@Ralf Peters, I think you understood the start-due in a schedule.

You probably noticed that the Start and Sue fields in the context of a scheduler are not exact time but a relative time. That allows you to set the Start and Due  relatively to the creation of the task.

So, if you have a meeting on Tuesday at 10AM, you can set the scheduler to create a task one day before, so that you can see it in your list. Set the scheduler for Monday at 10AM, and set the Due Date  for 1 day after.

Regarding Outlook, it does not have scheduling for tasks, they have reoccurring, that is different and we will probably support this in the future.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Daniel.

@Steven Boardman  & @Daniel Dekel is there any specific Admin role with over rides the BPM manager role? 

At the moment I have assigned one of the analysts the BPM Manager role but he can still see all the BPMs, not just the ones assigned to him. 

He has a number of admin roles but not an over all admin role (his are advanced reporting, asset management configuration manager and doc manager). Or do I need to set access on all the other BPMs?  Or set an owner on all the BPMs (not sure how to do that)

As for the scheduler so far I have no issues other than if I set a task to occur every patch Tuesday and I set it as a monthly task to run first on the Tuesday (tenth next month) I assume that it will run on the 10th every month rather than the second Tuesday of every month. If so, are there plans to enable selection of a day of a month in the monthly schedule? If not we will continue to use the API scheduler for these type of tasks as the cron scheduler seems to be a little more flexible. Obviously this isn't ideal as we will have two schedulers running to cover all required tasks. 

@Dan Munns

For owner, see Created By  on the list of Business Processes.

I have asked one of the team to confirm the expected logic with and without the system setting enabled, it is a follows:

By default everyone will have access to all the BPM (because the setting is set to false by default) as long as they have BPM Manager role granted i.e. manageBPM system right. 

If this setting is enabled then yes the customer has to go thru each BPM to grant access to user/group/role. Otherwise, only the user with Super User Role (i.e. admin privilege level) or the user who owns (created) the BPM workflow or the user to who has got access through user/group/role can access the BPMs.

User should not be able to access any BPMs if it's not shared with them

If this is not the case, as i suspect this is what you are saying then we can investigate as to why, could you review the above and let me know if what you are seeing if different and to help pinpoint any issue, please provide an example where a user is seeing more than they should

Re your other post, i am going to ask one of the team to look and comment on this now

Steve

@Steven Boardman ok so I have checked the following: 

Setting enabled - yes

BPM manager role added to test user - yes

Number of BPMs shared with user - yes 

BPMs exist with no 'Access Granted' - yes 

User still reports that he can see all BPMs in the list. Most of the BPMs are created by me. He should be able to see 30 total (if he should be able to see ones he created and ones with no owner as well as the two I shared) but he can still see the BPMs created for the service desk which are owned by me. 

User has roles as attached. 

Thanks 

Capture.PNG