Schedule Calls to log automatically?

ljbrown

Hi @Dan Munns

You can include the URL in the content of say the Details Param for the task in the json.conf file and this should be fine - see an example extract from a json.conf  file below, where i have put in bold the content of the task details (1) and included a link to the BBC Website.

{
      "Enabled":true,
      "CronSchedule":"0 * * * *",
      "ScheduleFrom":"2016-11-16T00:00:00.000Z",
      "ScheduleTo":"2017-01-01T00:00:00.000Z",
      "Service":"task",
      "API":"taskCreate2",
      "APIParams":{
        "0":
        {
          "Type":"Content",
          "Parameter":"title",
          "Content":"Daily Back Up Checks Comms"
        },
        "1":
        {
          "Parameter":"details",
          "Content":"Do the Following - https://www.bbc.co.uk"
        },

"2":
        {
          "Parameter":"category",
          "Content":"Morning Checks"
        },
        "3":
        {
          "Parameter":"dueDate",
          "Content":"nowPlus::4::hours"
        },
        "4":
        {
          "Parameter":"assignTo",
          "Content":"urn:sys:user:grahamc"
        },
        "5":
        {
          "Type":"Open",
          "Parameter":"outcome"
        },
        "6":{
          "Parameter":"outcome",
          "Content":"Passed"
        },
        "7":{
          "Parameter":"displayName"
        },
        "8":{
          "Parameter":"text",
          "Content":"Passed"
        },
        "9":{
          "Type":"Close",
        },
        "10":{
          "Parameter":"buttonColor",
          "Content":"success"
        },
        "11":{
          "Parameter":"requiresReason",
          "Content":"false"
        },
        "12":
        {
        },
        "13":
        {
        },
        "14":{
          "Parameter":"outcome",
          "Content":"Failed"
        },
        "15":{
        },
        "16":{
          "Parameter":"text",
          "Content":"Failed"
        },
        "17":{
        },
        "18":{
          "Parameter":"buttonColor",
          "Content":"danger"
        },
        "19":{
          "Parameter":"requiresReason",
          "Content":"true"
        },
        "20":
        {
        },
        "21":
        {
          "Parameter":"remindAssignee",
        },
        "22":
        {
          "Parameter":"remindOwner",
        },
        "23":
        {
          "Parameter":"extra",
          "Content":"{\"checkLists\":[{\"value\":\"To Do\",\"children\":[{\"value\":\"Comms Room\",\"checked\":false,\"$$hashKey
\":\"object:1006\"},{\"value\":\"DR\",\"checked\":false,\"$$hashKey\":\"object:1014\"},{\"value\":\"Server Room\",\"checked
\":false,\"$$hashKey\":\"object:1022\"}],\"$$hashKey\":\"object:993\"}],\"files\":[]}"
        }
      }
    }

The result of this when i run the API scheduler and the TaskCreate2 API is executed is as follows, with a clickable link in the task description

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 14.32.39.png

With the defined outcome buttons behind the Complete button as below, and in my example above i have set it so if failed is selected a reason is then mandatory to be provided but not if the check and outcome was Passed - obviously this type of config is entirely up to you. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 14.34.21.png

If you were looking to put hyperlinks into the individual checklist items on a task, it doesn't look like we support that, but hopefully having them in the details of the task works for you? 

Steve

Hi     @steven boardman ,

"Content":"{\"checkLists\":[{\"value\":\"To Do\",\"children\":[{\"value\":\"Ash Room\",\"checked\":false,\"$$hashKey
 \":\"object:1006\"},{\"value\":\"Oak Room\",\"checked\":false,\"$$hashKey\":\"object:1014\"},{\"value\":\"Hawthorn Room\",\"checked
 \":false,\"$$hashKey\":\"object:1022\"}],\"$$hashKey\":\"object:993\"}],\"files\":[]}"

in your example above   what is the significance of the object:xxxx , i wanted to use your example as a base but i need more check boxes .

and does the crontab work as "normal"   so

"CronSchedule":"0 * * * 2,4",  would run every Tuesday and Thursday

Thanks

Ralf

Hi @Ralf Peters

The ,\"$$hashKey\":\"object:xxxx\" values are not required by the taskCreate2 API, these are object identifiers added by the Hornbill web application framework and not used by the API. So your example above could be re-written as:

"Content":"{\"checkLists\":[{\"value\":\"To Do\",\"children\":[{\"value\":\"Ash Room\",\"checked\":false},{\"value\":\"Oak Room\",\"checked\":false},{\"value\":\"Hawthorn Room\",\"checked\":false}]}],\"files\":[]}"

With regards to the CronSchedule parameter, this accepts any standard Cron expression. So in your example, this would raise a task every hour on the hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Kind regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@steven boardman Is there any further update on this?

On 16/11/2016 at 8:31 PM, steven boardman said:

Hi @Tonyo @jbrown @Kelvin @Michael Sharp @Tina.Lapere @Ralf Peters

An update on where we are with the introduction of the scheduling of automated re-occurring activities.  We are looking to have this available in the next 4-6 weeks (subject to any unexpected challenges / issues etc).

Just to clarify this will be providing the ability to configure the scheduling for the reoccurrence of the activities functionality of Hornbill, not the scheduling of Incidents, Changes etc. 

Morning checks, and regular maintenance etc would fall under the activities umbrella compared to break / fix (Incident) or Request Fulfilment (Service Requests) etc, and the introduction of this will now provide the ability for these activities to be automated and not reliant on the manual use of the follow up options which are currently available.

Once this is released i will post back here and make all aware.

In the meantime if there are any urgent requirements to automate the creation of activities or in fact Incidents / Service Requests etc, we have provided an API Scheduler Utility which will allow you to define a schedule for the creation of activities and requests through our API's, in fact this can be used to schedule any of the Hornbill API's.  

This will involve some more advanced understanding of our API's and how to structure / define there Params but maybe something you wish to explore.

More information about this utility and where you can download it etc are available on the wiki here: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/API_Scheduler

In the case of activities, this utility will allow you to define all of the parameters such as title, category, owner, outcomes, due dates etc and schedule the creation of these say hourly, or daily at specific times, once a year etc.

In the case of requests, the utility will allow you to define Summary, Description, Source, Owner, Customer, Priority etc parameters.  You can also define the Service which it will be raised against, which will allow you to then automatically spawn the Business Process linked to the Service of the Request type, and this can be used to manage more advanced routing requirements, use of service level timers, suspend operations, task creation etc against the requests raised through this utility. 

This utility utilises API Keys, and these can be created via the admin tool and via the User Accounts you wish to use,  under System > Organisation Data > Users 

I hope this helps clarify where we currently are.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

@Kelvin

I am afraid this is still work in progress, we have had to do some other important works under the hood which have taken priority for now.  We are currently working on the "events" system, this is the area thats responsible for automated screen updates when things change, this work is primarily for email and tasks functionality so needs to be completed first, but has turned out to be a bit more complex than originally though.  So I expect we have another 4-5 weeks to go.  But do be assured its being worked on. 

Gerry

• 2 months later...

Hello @Dan Munns

No change as yet I am afraid, its still on  the list and we will get to to it.  Just so we are on the same page here, I am talking about the scheduling of "Task" (or Activity) creation, not requests. 

[edit] just had a look at the other backlog items, we should be able to get this done in the next 3-4 weeks, I will post with an update when its on the cutting room floor. 

Gerry

• 4 weeks later...

As we're bringing Facilities online over the next few weeks, I thought I'd bump this post as this is a function they want to rely on quite heavily, and I don't want to be building an API scheduler job for every Request they want to automate - and they simply don't have the technical knowledge to allow me to hand that kind of thing over.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

@Gerry , is there any update on this?

I've just been asked by our infrastructure team if it is possible as they want to use it when we migrate from Supportworks. I've shown them how to do it in Supportworks with a scheduled call, and to go back to them to say the new system is incapable of doing anything similar will damage the enthusiasm/buy-in I am trying to build with them for the new platform.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi @chrisnutt

I just wanted to check with you around your requirements.  The main topic here has been about providing re-occurring scheduled activities rather than scheduling a request. These re-occurring tasks/activities could be used for things like regular maintenance checks or other work related tasks that need to be repeated.  In Supportworks the scheduling of requests was used as an alternative to activities to fill some gaps there were not available in the Supportworks tasks.  Hornbill provides some great views for working with activities/tasks such as calendars and Boards and also provides a number of plug-ins between tasks and other aspects of Hornbill.  

I would be interested to know if this fits what you are looking for.

Regards,  

James

Hi James,

Thanks. I was hoping to find something similar to scheduled calls/requests when I found the thread, but understand the shift to activities. The scheduling of these to occur automatically at set times fits exactly with what I need. When reading the thread, I saw that this was in the pipeline but seems to have had some delays so was hoping to find out if there was any news.

The main thing I (and my colleagues) are after is the ability to set an activity to repeat at regular intervals. I think someone used the example of regular backups and we'd like to do the same. We would want a regular activity to appear every Monday that said "Check Weekend backups" and one on Tuesday to Friday that says "Check overnight backups". Also, I know the infrastructure manager would jump at the chance of getting a scheduled activity for checking the AV console. Some of the other examples mentioned in this thread are things we would want to do too as well as many others which I won't bore you with!

Thanks

Chris

@James Ainsworth, I'd also be interested in an update on this as it was logged on the forum a year ago now, however this is something we flagged when we were looking to implement Service Manager back in 2015 and it was said that it would be looked at back then.

I appreciate there are multiple things your working on at the moment but it's a little disappointing that there is still no progress from 2015.

Just by way of an update.  The core API's and scheduling function is now in the works and being implemented, this will be done very soon, maybe as soon as this week, that will give our application teams the tools they need to implement the scheduling function for Tasks.  Further good news is this is being implemented in a very generic way so in the future it would be possible to schedule almost anything that these is an API to do.  If you are coming along to this months Hornbill Insights Event 2017 (28th of this month) then you might even get to see an early preview of it working along side some great automation stuff we have lined up for you. 

https://www.hornbill.com/insights17-agenda/

Gerry

19 hours ago, Gerry said:

Just by way of an update.  The core API's and scheduling function is now in the works and being implemented, this will be done very soon, maybe as soon as this week, that will give our application teams the tools they need to implement the scheduling function for Tasks.  Further good news is this is being implemented in a very generic way so in the future it would be possible to schedule almost anything that these is an API to do.  If you are coming along to this months Hornbill Insights Event 2017 (28th of this month) then you might even get to see an early preview of it working along side some great automation stuff we have lined up for you. 

https://www.hornbill.com/insights17-agenda/

Gerry

Thanks for the update, @Gerry . I won't be able to attend the event but will keep an eye out for its release

Chris

@Tina.Lapere

Your welcome.  We are just looking into why  you have not received an invitation, we sent via email and you would have been on the list.  As I mentioned we are now working on the scheduling requirement but we have other commitments so we may not have anything physically to show around scheduling although we will be able to talk about it. I dont want you to come along just for that one thing  and then be disappointed. 

Gerry