Reporting on time spend on requests

Ralf Peters

Hi,

is there any plan to improve the reporting section ? Support works provides a large number of standard ITIL reports , where service manager provides none at all !

Our BPMs capture the time spent on resolved requests and we would like to report on them .

Can somebody please point me to the table i need to join to retrieve this data ?

is there a report scheduler ?

is there a table reference . like the support works schema ?

Thanks

Ralf

Hi Ralf,

I am sure one of the SM product guys will jump in here but here is my 10 cents... shipping standard reports has been a long running conversation here amongst the product teams. On the one hand, in Supportworks we shipped over 300 OOB reports, some customers loved that and some hated it. A common thread though is reporting is complicated, and we know that, so providing advanced SQL reporting capabilities while awesome does not work for everyone - the biggest complaint we get around reporting apart from no OOB reports is "reporting is too complicated" and we get that.

In our mission to make SM the best and most easiest solution to use for our customers we have come to realise we need something different for reporting. Like we have done for almost every other aspect of Service Manager and our new Platform for things like updates, codeless customisations, in-app micr0 training and other such stuff, we need to do the same for reporting, we need to take away all of the heavy lifting involved in reporting and make it simple for our customers to get out exactly what they need, when they need it without having to delve into the depts of database schema's and SQL JOIN statements. To that end our SM application team have a strategic initiative to provide a new layer of application-specific (ITIL, SDI etc...) reporting capability with much of what you need provided out of the box but tailorable by each individual customer as they need. In other words, we are going to be adding reports that we will treat like part of the product, which means those reports will evolve and improve over time - without disturbing your customisations you apply to the same reports. This is still work in progress so its difficult to be very specific at this point but that is our plan, and its our next high-priority focus after the completion of SLA and Configuration Management strategic stories, the first baselines of which are coming to an end this month (watch this space).

This is not a straightforward thing to tackle and wont be done in a short time window, so you will need to work with the advanced reporting for now but watch this space, we should be delivering something quite compelling over the course of H2 this year. I will leave it to someone else to post answers to the specific technical questions you have.

[edit] I should also mention that if anyone has any desire to put forward report ideas, specs or suggestions we are listening - does not meant you will get your specific report but it will help us deduce the most commonly needed reporting requirements - I think I can be honest and say as a vendor we would know a great deal less about real world reporting needs than our customers who do this every day.

Gerry

Hi Gerry\Trevor,

thanks for your replies , looking forward to the upcomming evolution of the product , I also understand you had many years to get supportworks to where it is now .

Will try harder next time when i am searching through the forum !

Thanks

Ralf

Hi Trevor,

that info in the link you provided works fine . only issue is it reports the time spend in minutes .

is it possible to have something like select (min / 60) as hours type of conversion , we cannot see any option on any of the report tabs to achieve that .

Thanks

Ralf