Add Hornbill to Azure app marketplace

gwynne

Hello,

I would like Hornbill as a development piece to work with Microsoft setting up there single sign install to be placed in the Azure marketplace.

The reasons for this as followed

- Easy setup of single sign on for azure users

- Decreased cost for companies - This is a big one for us as currently not all users have a licence that allows them Azure premium attached them, this is as we have different sites with different licence models. Azure premium is need for users to use single sign on with azure AD if the service is not in the marketplace. If you are in the market place this is not needed

I understand the above is our issue in essence but I also feel that it would be a good move for Hornbill showing that they are flexible with a range of technologies

Please could this request be taken under consideration ( I know this is not a 5mins fix :) )

Cheers

Gareth

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for the suggestion. At this point in time we have no idea what putting the SSO install into the Azure market, we do not have any Azure expertise so in order to evaluate your request we will need to look into this in more detail. The following document appears to spell out whats required: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/active-directory-integrating-applications/ although as usual the devil is always in the detail so its definitely not a 5 minute fix as you say :)

I will see what we can find out and post back soon.

Gerry

Gareth,

On your final point, I am not sure I understand why you would need premium. In Hornbill you can set up multiple SSO profiles for exactly this purpose. Each site/company you have where you want to use SSO access would simply need to add an application to their Directory service, and on Hornbill you would need to crate an SSO profile for each one of these. That should work without an issue although we will set some time aside over the coming weeks to verify this.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

The connection setup is not the issue that will work however the info we got from MS is if the SSO is a custom app users require the Azure premium licence weather it be part of a grouped agreement or not to authenticate. It does not stop the connection however its like installing a MS product just because it works it dont mean you should use it :)

G

Hi Gareth,

I think I understand what you are saying. So it is possible to add an app into the marketplace for SSO connectors but - in the context of Azure, Hornbill will still be considered a custom app so having the connection in the App Marketplace for Azure Directtory would nor really help as that does not appear to be anything more than a wrap-around to make configuration easier. If our software its self was running on the Azure platform then I think what you are saying would be correct, but we are never going to run our application on Azure as we already have built a world-class platform upon which we run our application on.

We will do some testing and investigating and will almost certainly add our SSO App to the Azure marketplace because customers do use Azure and this will make it easier for them to set things up. However, I don't think this will circumvent the requirement that Microsoft has placed on you requiring Premium edition to act as an Idp for applications that are not running on their platform - that's a very typical Micro$oft approach to their market penetration strategy.

I say all of this with very limited understanding of the Azure platform so I could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me with a cursory glance

Gerry

Statement from our 3rd line looks like is more about the licence model rather then anything

Ad premium is required only for a custom azure ad authentication app. Marketplace apps can be used by anyone with azure standard / basic which all of our users have.

Yeah I am not sure I really understand what that means.... Its clear from what I can see on the docs that the Marketplace apps can be used by anyone, but the app is distinctly different from the SSO setup for an application If the application is not on the Microsoft Azure platform then I think you will find that constitutes a custom app and will require premium, regardless of if you set it up manually or set it up using an AD Authentication App in the AD Directory app marketplace.

I think the AD Authentication App can be used by anyone, I set up a free account to take a look and I can use lots of them, but I am still not sure it will work - but we will be testing it to see what does and does not work. Even if it does not solve your "need for premium edition" problem, we will still most likely add an AD Authentication App as customer are using Azure more and more so this will at least help make configuration easy for them

Gerry

• Victor changed the title to Add Hornbill to Azure app marketplace
23 minutes ago, Victor said:

For anyone interested, Hornbill is now available as an app in Azure

The details are here: https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/aad.hornbill

And a tutorial by Microsoft on how to use this is here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/active-directory/saas-apps/hornbill-tutorial