Analysts failing to send manual emails on reopened closed requests - how do you handle these?

Adrian Simpkins

Hi All,

Despite numerous reminders out to team leaders / managers to remind staff that once a request is closed there is no automation, I am still struggling to get the concept over that if a closed request has to be reopened they must send any communications manually as the automation ends at closure.

Of course the correct procedure would be to avoid reopening a closed request in the first place, and to raise a new request but this is not always possible, so I am trying to think of a method to highlight how to handle these closed but reopened requests to the owning teams.

So I wanted to check does the Update node in a closed but reopened request still function and send an update email to the customer? Currently I am seeing staff just update the resolution tab more often than not, and of course this does not spawn an email on the closed request so wanted to check if they use the Update node instead would this spawn an update email still?

And out of interest how do other customers of Hornbill handle their closed requests which are subsequently reopened? Do you see similar issues as to mine?

Many thanks as always

@Adrian Simpkins rules-based workflow, that allows the creation of simple workflows based on business rules and actions. One of the significant benefits to users is it will be possible to use these rules to decide at what point (if any) workflow is triggered, instead of requiring a workflow to be triggered at the point of raising a request.

6 hours ago, Adrian Simpkins said:

Despite numerous reminders out to team leaders / managers to remind staff that once a request is closed there is no automation

Hi Adrian,

Automation only ends if there is nothing else to process in the workflow.  In the last stage of your workflow, after a request has been set to closed, you can have a suspend node that waits for status change.  If the status changes from Closed to Open, you can have some additional automation included in this stage with how re-opened requests are managed.   I would have an expiry on this "wait for status change" where you agree on the length of time when a request can be reopened after it has been closed.  Once this time has passed, you can then lock all the actions to prevent any further updates to the request. You could even throw in a request notice saying that this ticket is now permanently closed.

As part of this "re-opened" workflow, you can have appropriate automated emails saying things like the request has been re-opened.  

Your workflow may look a little like this...

image.png

• Like 2