Enhancement Suggestion - Schedule the raising of Requests at some specified future date

Frank Reay

We have a number of scenarios where we know that we need to raise a Request at some specified future date eg 1 month prior to an SSL Expiry date. Ideally we would like to raise these Requests at a one-off future date or on a regular basis eg annual, quarterly etc. I should say that we do not want to use Activities - we want them raised as formal Requests.

This is not currently possible within Hornbill. So we have looked at options to use a 3rd party tool to hold and trigger the raising of the requests. This is clearly possible but is not straightforward eg the trigger system needs to be sure the Request was raised and ideally have the Request number, status etc. It feels that if this functionality could be within Hornbill then it would be so much easier to manage, view and report.

Any support for this suggestion from other customers would be appreciated. Or let me know if you have found an alternative and effective way of achieving it! 

• Like 1

I'm interested in a variation of this, for support teams and/or contractors to carry out preventative maintenance routines on a yearly basis. It would be good to have some way to raise these automatically on specific dates each year (or every 3/6/12 months depending on the requirements), without having to log them all separately from scratch each time. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good Morning All,

I have some updates for you regarding scheduled requests.

We have added this functionality to Service Manager and it was due to be released with an update this week but was pulled due to issues found at the last minute with testing. It is currently scheduled to be released with a Service Manager update w/c 28/08/23.

As you will see with the screenshots, the new functionality is loosely based on email routing rule templates. We have plans to add features to both areas in the coming weeks as they share a lot of common functionality. Any requests that are raised from a scheduled request template will have a source of 'Scheduled' so you'll be able to track all the requests raised from each scheduled request.

Alex

• Like 4

This looks hopeful and we think would satisfy our use cases. Having the Catalog item is very useful. It is in the Admin console but I can understand why access to this may need to be controlled.

It feels like the one thing that is missing is a Calendar View?

• Like 1

@Frank Reay thanks for your suggestion.

At the moment we just have a table list of scheduled request templates but I'm guessing you're looking for an over arching calendar view of all scheduled requests? 

As I said in my post, there are additions and enhancements that we have planned for scheduled requests and email routing rule templates over the coming weeks so there is no reason why we can't look at the addition of some sort of calendar view.

Alex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately we've had to postpone the release of this feature due to yet more issues found in testing, and in part to other issues which have delayed the next Service Manager build by 2 weeks now.

As it currently stands, the next Service Manager update will be early next week, to be followed the week after by an update that will contain scheduled requests. I will post back here as and when there is any new information.

Alex

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Kevin Upshaw

Forgive the pun but scheduled requests are now scheduled to go out with next week's service manager update. We had an issue with 2949 and in particular the new custom fields in testing which pushed us back a couple more weeks.

I know everyone is keen to get their hands on this feature asap and I'd like to thank everyone for their patience.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2