Issue/enhancement: Users adding Archived Assets to Changes and Requests and I can't stop them

Berto2002

I've archived a few assets lately but I found one appeared on a Change Request by an analyst and another appeared on a Users Request through IC form. They are doing this 'accidentally' because neither the IC form or Link Asset feature inform the user of the status of the Asset they are linking.

I don't agree that Archived Assets should for found in default searches (as the default behaviour). I think an Archived asset should not show in the search on IC forms or in Request Asset search; in the same way that an Archived User doesn't show in the User look-ups in IC forms or, say, Email Action feature.

For IC forms we have some degree of control over the search but it only ALLOWS certain statuses, it does not DISALLOW them. So I can restrict the search to Current but that means they won't see Active. This is what I suggest is improved: Add a row here on the Asset form in IC to say "Exclude Asset Status" or alter the existing "Select Asset Status" to allow the selection of BOTH Active and Current (and thus excluding Archived).

image.png.30746fbdefa431d5b0446dddf871a1ca.png

In Requests, for the Link Assets Action feature, I think the DEFAULT should be to not find Archived Assets in the search; but to allow it in the ADVANCED search (at the moment it's the other way around).

These are both subtle changes that will prevent Users and Agents accidentally adding Archived Assets to their Requests and Changes

• 2 weeks later...

I had this today. My team have no option but to link all assets with matching names or tags and then sift through them afterwards by examining each in the asset DB to then remove the RETIRED ones. This issue is only going to waste more and more time with our analysts as our list of retired assets increased over the years. Please could someone at Hornbill review?

image.thumb.png.7e4366baf1545c6cdb8cafda83a7b716.png

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Reminded to bring this up again as I believe there may be some roadmap improvements for assets in 2024.

The main ask here is to be able to enable filtering on asset status to avoid users and analysts selecting archived and retired assets for use in ICF, workflow and UI.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this up again as my analysts are still finding retired archived assets when raising changes and getting confused.

@Steve Giller did this get assessed for inclusion please. Requirement is either filter to allow retired/archived assets to not be exposed for user/analyst use and or for the status/state to be exposed to allow them to see status/state.

image.thumb.png.9d2a94f28d114eef3f04a5662b70c854.png

Explanation I have to give to analysts: "Sorry folks, I can neither filter-out those retired/archived assets nor reveal their status/state on the view you see when linking. This is something I have asked Hornbill to implement but no news yet. You need to right click to open the asset to check the status/state if in doubt and then only link active current assets, please. I will update the Hornbill forum post each time it is reported to me to keep the issue visible."