Closed Requests Automatic Email

will.good

In supportworks, we used to have a setting enabled whereby if a customer emails in to update a closed case, it would send a rejection email to them. Is there a way for us to enable this in Hornbill?

We ideally would like for a routing rule to then detect that the email belongs to a closed case, and move the email in to another folder if this is possible?

I'm looking to do something similar, we'd like to be able to send an email to customers whose email does not get updated in a request. This can happen for a variety of reasons

• out of office reply to resolution email so call is closed and can't be updated
  • customer emailing mailbox directly to log a call (we don't allow this)
  • customer updating the subject and removing the ref number

sending an email to these customers and moving the email out of the inbox would be very helpful.

I've tried adding a rule for out of office replies for requests that are closed. Unfortunately I think as it has already failed the first rule for updating requests it doesn't apply. I'm not sure how to write the expression so that it applies the rule to requests that are closed which I could then have as first in the order of rules

18 hours ago, will.good said:

We ideally would like for a routing rule to then detect that the email belongs to a closed case

12 minutes ago, Teresa Ward said:

I'm not sure how to write the expression so that it applies the rule to requests that are closed

This is the part that is not available, the Inbound Routing Rules can detect that the email relates to a Request (using the REGEX_MATCH() function on the Subject in the Rule Expression, and the Reference field) but it will not return the Status of the Request.

For emails that are not referring to a specific Request you can move the email to a specific Folder within a Mailbox using the Use Mailbox action (probably using a "catch-all" expression at the bottom of the list to apply to any emails that have not already been dealt with) and then manually respond to the email, or you can use the Service Manager operation to raise a "silent" Request with a Workflow that either simply emails the sender and gives a generic message detailing the reason(s) you cannot process that email (you may even be able to use the information in the email, dissect it, and give a more relevant reason based on its content) and then auto-close the Request.

The complication with closed Requests is that if you have set your Instance to not allow closed Requests to be updated the Routing Rules will match on the Reference, then move the email to the specified Failure folder because the Request has failed to update.

At the moment the requestupdate operation matches on reference, see below, could the expression be amended to include something along the lines of

AND subject LIKE '%Automatic reply%' OR body LIKE '%Thank you for contacting the Property FM Helpdesk%'

this would find most of our out of office messages. We could then send failures to the OOO folder

the next rule would be this the current rule below - does that make sense? 

I don't know how to write the expression to join the regex match bit with the subject LIKE bit

image.png.899a6af77e4b6bc3fc9b96467ca313d0.png

If you have a Rule at the top with:

subject LIKE '%Automatic reply%' OR body LIKE '%Thank you for contacting the Property FM Helpdesk%'

This will catch anything with "Automatic reply" in the subject line as well as anything with "Thank you for contacting the Property FM Helpdesk" in the body and you can move them to the desired Mailbox/Folder using the "Use Mailbox" action before any attempts to Update a Request are made.

If you only want to catch OOO messages that have a Request Reference in the Subject you would need:

REGEX_MATCH(subject, '.*\b[a-zA-Z]{2}[0-9]{8}\b.*') AND (subject LIKE '%Automatic reply%' OR body LIKE '%Thank you for contacting the Property FM Helpdesk%')

If you're not familiar with SQL operator precedence then please post back here with your intended expression to check you'll get the correct results.

@Teresa Ward You don't have the Reference field set.

On the wiki page, under the Service Manager Settings sections it states:

For logOrUpdateIncident, logOrUpdateServiceRequest and updateRequest operations the Reference field is a mandatory parameter. You will need to specify the Regex Syntax that matches your call reference. E.g. for the standard out-of-the-box reference use: [a-zA-Z]{2}[0-9]{8}

I think that's what I've done, I've taken your suggestion but removed the body element as those emails don't have a reference number

On 11/29/2022 at 3:13 PM, Steve Giller said:
REGEX_MATCH(subject, '.*\b[a-zA-Z]{2}[0-9]{8}\b.*') AND (subject LIKE '%Automatic reply%' OR body LIKE '%Thank you for contacting the Property FM Helpdesk%')

If you're not familiar with SQL operator precedence then please post back here with your intended expression to check you'll get the correct results.