How do I stop analysts/customers re-opening closed requests?

Estie

Hi,

We have a 2 stage closure on most of our BPMS.  However it appears that even though a request is closed our analysts and possibly customers are able to re-open the requests.

We appear to have a 'Re-open requests' role (user created before my involvement in Hornbill) - which has the following Application rights:

image.png.8cce8d8e3f9c29f121a63946bb6e50e4.png

Does this mean they are able to reopen any type of incident or request? ie resolved as well as cancelled?

I have checked all the advanced settings and they all seem to be correct.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Stefania Tarantino said:

Does this mean they are able to reopen any type of incident or request? ie resolved as well as cancelled?

Cancelled request can't be manually reopened, even with these rights.  But with these rights they would be able to reopen resolved and closed requests

Does this mean they are able to reopen any type of incident or request?

If they have been given these rights, then the will be able to reopen any request that they have access to.

We appear to have a 'Re-open requests' role (user created before my involvement in Hornbill) - which has the following Application rights:

There are two key roles for managing requests.

Incident Management Full Access - This role is designed for managers or team leaders.  This role includes the right to re-open incidents.  There is an equivalent Full Access role for Service Requests. 

Incident Management User - This role is designed for regular support team members.  This doesn't include the re-open rights. There is an equivalent role for Service Requests.

My guess is that the Re-open Requests role was created by someone in your organization so they could assign this to users that have the Incident Management User role, and allowing them to re-open requests, without having to give them the Full Access role.

customers are able to re-open the requests.

When a request is put onto a Resolved state, a customer on the portal has the opportunity to say if the resolution worked or not.  If they say it is fixed, the requests is closed.  If they say it is still broken the request is reopened.  This is the only time that a customer can reopen a request.  Once closed, they can't reopen it.

I hope that helps.  See if it leads to you find out why or who is re-opening these.  

Hi James,

Thank you this does help.  I think you are right about the re-open role.

Just so I am really clear - the 're-open' part of the role means re-open a resolved or a closed incident/request?

Is there any way to restrict the 're-open' bit to just resolved Incidents/requests?

Thanks

One way to manage this is to Lock the request after it has been closed.

image.png

The ability to re-open a closed request would still be available to those that have the Incident Management Full Access roles, but not those that have the Incident Management User roles. The downside is that they wouldn't be able to make edits, like changing the closure category or updating the resolution text if required.

The Hornbill Automation used for this is Lock/Unlock Actions Automation.

image.png

Personally, I would be inclined to lock most of the actions once a request is closed. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information @James Ainsworth

Would it be advisable to lock a resolved request or would that stop any feedback or emails being received from the customer after it is resolved?

Would locking a closed request stop any further emails being received from the customer once the request is closed?

Is there a way to stop customers updating cancelled requests via email?

21 minutes ago, Stefania Tarantino said:

Would it be advisable to lock a resolved request or would that stop any feedback or emails being received from the customer after it is resolved?

You are locking the Resolve/Close Action, not the Request, so other actions are still accessible.

21 minutes ago, Stefania Tarantino said:

Would locking a closed request stop any further emails being received from the customer once the request is closed?

Email is a completely separate application, until you process an email (whether manually or via Routing Rules) the system has no idea whether it's related to a Request.

23 minutes ago, Stefania Tarantino said:

Is there a way to stop customers updating cancelled requests via email?

I am assuming you're referring to Routing Rule updates here, these do not update Cancelled Requests.