Ability to save a form before sending it

Hi

Some of our request forms are quite lengthy (e.g. HR recruitment) and can take some time to complete.  Customers find that sometimes they lose their request part way through filling out the form due to poor network (local issues - we have many staff working from home at the moment!)

If it were possible to save a request before a customer submits it, this would not only mitigate network problems that may occur during form completion, but would also significantly expand the business potential of the product. 

We could create far more in-depth Progressive Capture forms (e.g. questionaires, self-assessments, fully detailed change request forms, etc.)

I appreciate this may require significant development work.  Is this a direction Hornbill would consider for the Service Manager product?

Kind regards

Stuart

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We would support the request to be able to save a draft before its moved on to the next stage. From a business process its reasonable to need to update a draft over a number of days before submitting to the next stage as well as the autosave for cases of network connectivity issues  

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Alexander

+1 for us for this. We have a few sizeable requests which need a lot of information to be entered by busy people, so having the ability to save a draft of a request would be very helpful.

This has a lot of benefits that we could utilise, also we would like an option of being able to complete part of a form and then a manager can authorise it then once OK'd the customer can then fill out additional supplementary questions would be great as so many people have to fill out lengthy forms only for them to be rejected or rejected on a technicality and then have to complete another long winded form.

Alternatively an option to be able to send a form as part of a request would be nice too, so at any point in the BPM send an email saying complete this form and the answers etc are added to the existing request would be very useful.

Sorry this turned into a bit of hi-jacking...but we would support this in any capacity.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, yelyah.nodrog said:

+1 from us, our Change process forms can be quite lengthy and we would like the ability to save to draft like other ITSM platforms offer.

+1 from us on the Change front too.  It's something a lot of our change raisers have mentioned since implementation, as our form can be quiet lengthy. 

• 3 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Are there any updates on whether this option is a) possible and b) going to happen please?

We've got a few people asking as some of our forms are quite lengthy and getting timedout if someone walks away from their computer and losing all of their information is quite frustrating for them....

thanks

During Supportworks era our engineers would raise a ticket, park it, populate it and submit it when ready - the new Change workflow being a one-stop progressive capture was never popular [although I've suggested using placeholders and editing the fields later]

+1, would be very useful if a PC could be suspended and saved.

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Hi

Does anyone at Hornbill have any updates or thoughts on whether the option of being able to save a half-filled form is viable please? I'm getting asked a lot about why someone has to fill out a form in one 'sitting' especially as a few of our forms are now quite lengthy and sometimes the customer needs to go and find some information while in the middle of filling out a request.

@Paul Alexander

8 hours ago, Paul Alexander said:

sometimes the customer needs to go and find some information while in the middle of filling out a request

For now, have you considered having the first form set up as a label that contains a list of things that they are going to need in order to complete the questions?  You could also mention the estimated time they will need to fill it out.

Guest Paul Alexander

HI @James Ainsworth

Yes, we already have a label with a list of possible items that might be needed (this changes depending on the options selected in the form) however the people who fill these forms out are also busy out on building sites and there is always a good chance that they'll be disturbed while filling out the form, and will need to leave their computers for a period of time - and this is where the frustration creeps in. They can't NOT go and see what they're needed for on the site, but if they leave their computers for more than an hour then they lose everything that they've filled in already.

Unfortunately  the forms in question here are very lengthy - they're replacing paper forms which were complicated to fill out and can't be shortened in any way without losing the ability to get as much information about the request at the point of logging. I've been told that the team is considering going BACK to the paper form as it does mean that people can take their time filling it in....which is something we DEFINITELY don't want to be doing! 

thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Has there been any more thought about having a 'save form' option in the portals please?

One of our teams has got so frustrated with people losing information that they have now asked to switch OFF the portal form, and have gone back to a paper form which is a REAL step backwards!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Could I put forward a possible enhancement?  Some of our forms are quite large, e.g. change requests.  Users may not be able to complete these forms in a single go and would like to be able to save and edit them before they send/submit.  Is this possible and if not could be put forward as a possible enhancement?

@Damian Roberts

This has been asked before, and actually thats a much bigger question/ask than you might imagine.  Firstly, the same IC's (forms) are used in multiple places, by multiple actors (users, employees, customers, mobile catalog and certain other apps), the first question is, where would these forms get "saved to", and as soon as you ask that question, you then have to think about, ok, once a form is saved, where do I get back to that form, how do I see the list of forms I have previously saved, how do I look at a form to see what I previously saved (because I forgot that I saved it), and then, what are the limits of how much i can save, and, if as a user I save a form, and, by the time I get back to that form the system admin has re-configured/changed the form definition, and/or the service so it references the wrong BPM, or the service request has changed its configuration so the content that the form was previously initialised with has changed - the list goes on and on...

Nothing insurmountable of course, anything is technically possible, but there is a hell of a lot to consider, for something that on the face of it sounds so simple.  The issue is, IC is complex and it offers a lot, but because of this, simple stuff like this, that seems basic, is actually quite hard to do in a way that would work well and be a net-add to the product. 

So I just want to set expectations here that this is not something we can just throw in, and it is on our backlog already, but does not currently have priority. 

Thanks,

Gerry

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...