Azure User Import - Meaning of setting for OnlyOneGroupAssignment

We use Azure User Import and in particular have the settings below

image.png.e6e8859915ff4e1b59bb26855275d74a.png

What is the impact of changing OnlyOneGroupAssignment to 'true'?

The wiki says 'if set to true, then a user can only be associated to a single group at any one time'.

But a later comment says 'Please note that this import only adds and not REMOVES any association.'

Our problem is that we need to report on users based on their current Department (of which there is only one). However people move Departments and so we now have users with a selection of old and current Departments so how do I know what their current Department is? I thought the above setting may ensure that a user only has a single assignment at any point in time (ie to the current one) BUT that second comment concerns me. 

I have seen this recent post which I think is highlighting my problem. Does this mean that I need to start using the iBridge to delete the old Department? I was hoping to make this a simple change (the technician who set up the interface left a few years ago!) and we currently don't use the iBridge for this.

Is the Department association timestamped somewhere?

Hi @Frank Reay,

Firstly, you are right in assuming that OnlyOneGroupAssignment set to true should limit the amount of groups to a single of that type (dept, division etc) to a particular person.

On order for that to work, the old connection would have to be removed. The statement about not removing any department connections is a little dated (obviously predates the OnlyOneGroupAssignment-functionality addition).

I would suggest you try out an import with a couple of accounts you know the configuration of in both sides (Azure & Hornbill) to check that it works as expected.

@Frank Reay,

The Azure Import utility is not a generic user update utility.

Such ("update all users with ..."-)utility does not exist (or, perhaps better stated: is not one we have released on github).

You, or others so inspired are welcome to fork our tools on github and adapt them for your own purposes.

In the meantime, the DB Import Utility is the closest we have to what you are looking for, you will just need a list of User IDs in a csv/text file - BUT I would suggest that the Azure utility is probably the quickest/easiest for you to implement -i.e. just run and "yes", connect to Azure in the process to get the list of user ids from there.