Dropdown values not clearing

Salma Sarwar

Hi

I was wondering whether anyone can help.  I have a dropdown list which has a yes/no answer, depending on the selection it shows another dropdown list which has an override flag to make it visible and mandatory, if the first dropdown list has a selection of "yes".  If the value of the first dropdown was "yes" and the second dropdown was also populated and then the user decides that their selection in the first dropdown was incorrect and sets it to "No" it will make the second dropdown not visible which is correct however, it does not clear the value of the second dropdown.  How  do you clear the value of a dropdown which is no longer visible.

Kind Regards,

Salma 

Hi @Salma Sarwar

11 hours ago, Salma Sarwar said:

value of a dropdown which is no longer visible.

Is this second drop down value being saved against the request as it has an answer, even though you have changed the first drop down and can no longer see the second drop down?  I'm not sure exactly where you are seeing the second value.

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply.

In dropdown 1 the options are yes/no

In dropdown2 there are also two option - remove, upgrade 

When dropdown 1 is set to "yes" dropdown 2 becomes visible if you have selected any of the values in dropdown 2 it will retain that value even if you went back and decide the selection in dropdown 1 was incorrect and update it to "no"

Hope that makes sense :)

Kind Regards,

Salma

• 1 month later...

Hi @Salma Sarwar, I am trying to work out why your expectation is not being realised.

If you finish the capture with "No" in dropdown1, then any value that might have been selected in dropdown2 will not be shown in the details of the resulting call. This has been fixed for a while now.

I wonder if you are looking at some old calls that were logged before the fix ? These will not have changed unfortunately.

Or perhaps you are selecting "yes" and "upgrade", then "no", then "yes" again without finishing the capture? In this case, dropdown2 will have retained "upgrade". Is it at this point you expect the value to have been cleared ?

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your feedback, yes you got it before the capture is finishing I would expect the value to clear like you have mentioned below but it does not.

Or perhaps you are selecting "yes" and "upgrade", then "no", then "yes" again without finishing the capture? In this case, dropdown2 will have retained "upgrade". Is it at this point you expect the value to have been cleared ?

Kind Regards,

Salma

Hi @Salma Sarwar

Just to confirm what we have done.  There was an issue where a previously selected option on a hidden form was still being stored against the request, within the Questions section on the request record.  This is something that only would occur after the Intelligent Capture script has been completed and a new request raised.   This particular issue was found as a result of your original post.  Many thanks.

In the case of a previous selection on a form still being set if you go back and forth between forms that are based on conditions prior to the completion of the Intelligent Capture Script, it is common for this behaviour so that previous selections made by a user are still in place so that they don't have to select it again.  From my perspective, this is working as it should.  Are there particular operational issues that this is causing for you?

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. Yup can see that bit is resolved, thank you for resolving that.  However, I think that if the there is a cascading dropdown/textbox and the value is altered it should clear out the value in the secondary dropdown/textbox otherwise when a user goes to re-select the value it would hold the old information.  Please see example below

image.png.1a831e8010e2b3be01167bc5324816ad.png

The calendar appears if the user selects 'yes'

image.png.bb6332d32d748f65bbe4d2c5825598b0.png

image.png.e7adfa353bed06b48b56efed221c0028.png

If the user changes their mind and selects no , the text box disappears

image.png.51f4793a74bd713f83b14db885374d64.png

Reselecting - yes has retained the old value in the field.

image.png.84a66b3f0cc29ff27fca6f01ecf065a1.png

Kind Regards,

Salma

25 minutes ago, Salma Sarwar said:

when a user goes to re-select the value it would hold the old information.

This is the intended behaviour.

If you have selected a date, and then change your answer to "No" but subsequently realise the answer is "Yes" after all, then the assumption is that the date you gave was also correct first time. If not you can correct it.