Open Configuration Page in a new tab by default?

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi

Could you make it so that, when I click the 'Configuration' shortcut in Service Manager, the config page opens in a new tab please? I'm forever having to remember to right click and choose 'open in a new tab' when I click it and it's annoying me :D

I use this mostly when I'm investigating a 'stuck' bpm or something to do with a specific ticket, so clicking it means I then lose the ticket that I'm investigating and I feel that opening in a new tab by default would help me!

image.png.b5eed2c171787ceb2592f7c5865a42fe.png

+1 - having this open by default into a new tab would be a huge boon.

I often forget to CTRL + Click on it and lose whatever I was doing

Hi @Paul Alexander

For quickly accessing the Executed Process for a particular request, a great way to achieve this is by using a Custom Button that uses a URL.  This will open in a new tab.  

The BPM ID is one of the available variables.   You can simply get the full URL which will the following, with your instance name added in.   be https://live.hornbill.com/<<yourinstancename>>/admin/app/com.hornbill.servicemanager/manage-executed-processes/![[h_bpm_id]]/ 

You can also use the Show Button If option so that this is only available to yourself.  

Once set up this will now be one simple click to access the executed BPM for that particular request, in a new tab.

image.png

• Like 1

Guest Paul Alexander

HI @James Ainsworth

We do already have this option, however for us it's quite often something in an email template which hasn't worked, or checking for which group or organisation a customer is in or any other of a myriad things which I need to check. 

So, although the BPM shortcut has been invaluable to us, I do still think that the admin page opening by default in a separate tab would help us (well, me, anyway...)

thanks

Hi @Paul Alexander

The challenging part to this is that the preference with this can change from user to user.  When looking at UX design, we do our best to follow recommendations for new tab vs same tab, where it is recommended you open within the same tab while you are within the same app, and open in a new tab when you are leaving the app to an external page.  This is why the custom buttons open a new tab, as it was designed for use with an external URL.

Personally, I'm one of those people that isn't a fan of having too many tabs open.   I have gotten into the habit of using the Ctrl key when I click on the Settings icon if I do want a new tab opened.  Alternatively, if I know that I'll be doing a lot of work in Configuration, I have Configuration open in a separate browser window, so I can easily toggle using alt+tab.

Guest Paul Alexander
16 hours ago, James Ainsworth said:

The challenging part to this is that the preference with this can change from user to user

I do understand that the option might not be what everyone wants, but could there be a way to make this an option in the settings somewhere, so each person can have it set to their own preference?