Auto close linked calls

lee mcdermott

This would be against the BP that each individual (linked) Request is running against.

Let's say we have a system that has failed which has triggered the MI, and this is preventing Users from signing in - but Users who are already signed in can continue to work but can't save their documents.

You will have two types of Incident - Can't log on, and Can't Save.
These will likely have different Workflows associated and a different clean-up between resolution and closure, so it is important that the Linked Requests continue to follow their own workflows despite being part of the same MI.

• Like 1

@Steve Giller

Hi steve just looking at this now. I have found the automated node settings to close linked calls.

Can you clarify the following.

If I link a call say IN000002 to a call IN000001 are either of them treated as the master call so to speak? I am thinking if all the calls are using the same BP,  if I add a node to close linked calls will it matter which call i close first? or will closing any call that is linked to any other just close them all?

Ideally what I would like is to have a master call (which will be our major incident call) which will then have loads of calls linked to it. I just want those linked calls to close only when I close the major incident call, I wouldn't want one of those linked calls to be closed which then closes all the others including the major incident call.

hope that makes sense?

thanks

lee

9 minutes ago, lee mcdermott said:

If I link a call say IN000002 to a call IN000001 are either of them treated as the master call

No.

12 minutes ago, lee mcdermott said:

I just want those linked calls to close only when I close the major incident call

Without delving into your Workflow(s) it would be impossible to say, but if they're all using the same one I'd wonder if setting a Custom Field on the Request you consider the Master, and then only taking the "Resolve Linked Requests" path if that is set would be an option here.

I don't see how that would be any less complicated - you'd still need a way of identifying the Master Request and only showing the Custom Button that triggers the AutoTask for that one request, and ensuring it was only available at the correct stage in the process.

But yes, an AutoTask would work just as well.

@Steve Giller

actually when i think about it it may work. 

Our current process for dealing with Major incidents is  there is a Auto task button available for all incidents. When we have a major incident we raise a master call logged against a major incident user. Once logged we then trigger the auto task to raise that call as the major incident - it then goes off and does its thing.

There will then be a De-escalate button that will only show on that major incident call because the priority will have changed to high.

I am thinking if I include the close linked calls on the de-escalate auto task it will then close all linked calls when that major incident call is de-escalated (which should only be done) when the issue is sorted and it will only be ran against that 1 major incident call.

@Steve Giller

Hi Steve,

I am now trying to test this auto close linked calls - I cannot seem to get it to do anything?

am i missing something fundamental that needs configured to get this to work? I have one node as below.

I have 2 calls linked (logged against the same service) when I run my auto task it says it runs but actually doesn't seem to do anything to the linked call?

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.b39cf4b6503fc49a69d971be8c1761f1.png

I haven't used that node in an AutoTask - it may be a requirement that it's used in a Request Workflow, as the AutoTask runs independently of the Request.

If so, having the Resolve Linked Requests node in the main BPM to run after the Master Request de-escalates would get around this.