Only E-mail Report if there is a record count >0

I am unsure if this is an enhancement request, if I am missing a setting or if there is a better way to achieve the same end result.

We have a number of reports running on a weekly basis to highlight where there are issues in the system that require manual intervention and fixing. For example:

• Assets with duplicate names.
  • Users with more than one active account.
  • Requests assigned to a team but without an owner.
  • Users with missing Organisations, manager info etc.

The reports are either emailed to key individuals or into the system to raise a Request. We have been running these for several months and now find that quite often there are no records to report (which is of course good news). However the reports still run and email the pdf/csv.

Ideally we only want these reports to be sent out if there are records which need attention ie record count >0. I can't see any setting for this. Alternatively is there a different way to approach the problem?

On 7/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, Frank Reay said:

Ideally we only want these reports to be sent out if there are records which need attention ie record count >0

Unfortunately that's not how a report works.
You're asking the question "How many ... ?" and "Zero" is a perfectly valid answer. For that reason I don't think it's going to work as an Enhancement Request either.

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, Salma Sarwar said:

people do not want to see a blank report

Again, to clarify, this is not a blank report. It's a report returning the answer "0"
In Frank's examples you are seeing "There are no Assets with duplicate names, Users with more than one active account, Requests assigned to a team but without an owner, Users with missing Organisations, manager info" etc. and if these did not send when the count was 0 how would the recipient know whether all is well and there a no duplicates/missing data or whether the Report is failing to send?

• Like 1

@Steve Giller I guess its about the use-case, we are hoping to send out a daily email with Unauthorised changes to the the authorisers which would not appreciate receiving an email to tell them there is nothing to authorise. The wouldn't necessarily would want their mailbox clogged up with an email just to inform them that there are no outstanding changes to authorise. Its a wasted email to open and read.

Kind Regards,

Salma